cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

Hi Dan, what happened to no more third party scam charges from beginning January.......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Karen, this is a scam I have been through with Optus. It is actually quite simple to resolve, don't pay any of the third party charges on your bill, just the plan amounts. Forget talking to Manilla they will tell you anything they think you want to hear. Register your complaint with the TIO, Optus will contact you immediately. Tell Optus no unauthorised third party charges will be paid they will accept it. In my case I told them no third party charges will be paid and take your phone back, I sent them their handset back and no more Optus. Don't let anyone push you around, anyone out there listening this scam is very simple to overcome unless regrettably you have direct debit billing, you will still win, just a little more angst. Don't you feel great Optus...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

have sent you a PM, just realized that you had answered.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just discovered that I've been paying money to whatever company this is for 8 months. I just thought I was going over my data limit so I didn't really think much of it, but actually looking at my bills I've lost nearly $400 to this. I've never had an option to opt out of anything, never had anything sent to me regarding what it is or what I'm paying for, nothing.

I've contacted optus regarding this and they were totally useless. They told me to contact MIA sphere and ask for a refund (which I think is absolutely ridiculous and bad customer service to be told to contact the scammer). 

I tried calling the number and basically got the run around and told I'm not likely to get a full refund. 

What are my options now? Definitely will not be sticking with optus once my handset is paid off. They know about this dodgy service and have done nothing about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Send us a private message @Dallasdewit. We'll try and work this one out.

You are entitled to a refund (despite the length of time that's passed since the transaction took place).

I need your full name, DOB and mobile number. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

have sent you a PM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Heya @MarkFaw, no problem 🙂 We'll chat there! 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live-Compromised customer accounts still have billing on for 3rd party Services

Hi, just finished my call with Optus customer care. I am a corporate customer and have auto debit set. Since last Dec17, I was not able to check my statements due to travel, house move etc.

When I asked Optus why I have such high bills they replied coolly that I have been subscribing to MIA SPHERE LIVE 3rd party premium content service since Jan 2018 which as a customer I am not aware off and paying AUD 6.99 every week to this Merchant. I asked Optus to put a block on this premium service, which they did just now and provided me merchant's number-1300724406 for fund reversal. However when I called merchant number an auto message was played saying that I no longer have service with them and need to contact provider to discuss any queries.

This is totally wearied.

1. When I read about it on Optus website, Optus is aware of the scam and claiming that it’s solved, but the accounts which got compromised by this SCAM are not informed and the SCAM service is also not suspended until fortunately I called Optus for some other query and came across this.

2. Optus has all the details and falsely directly innocent customer to merchant which no longer respond on the number which Optus provided to customer for refund.

3. How come without proper authorisation OPTUS starts billing customer and claiming that they are not aware what are these premium service which they are charging customer and what benefit it provides to the customer.

I will strongly recommend that OPTUS identify all the compromised accounts and give a courtesy call to customer and cancel the existing premium 3rd party services and organise refund.

Also for future before charging customer for any such services organise proper authorisation process.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: MIA Sphere Live-Compromised customer accounts still have billing on for 3rd party Services

@BeAware, there are countless threads on this topic. We've listened to the feedback and changes have been made to Premium content (subscriptiona and one-off charges). 

From 24th August 2018, we've stopped certain Third-Party Content Providers from billing you via your mobile bill or using your prepaid credit.

Third-Party content closure for Optus Post-paid and Prepaid customers

I'm happy to go in and see if I can process the refund for you. You're welcome to send us a private message. I'll need the name of the company, position within the company, your full name, DOB & mobile number. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I too have had MIA Sphere Live content services charging against my optus account, as well as d-mobilelab S.p from May last year to current.  Like a lot of others here I setup direct debit services for my monthly payments of my account and never really worried about checking the details, I treated it as set and forget.

Total unauthorised charges = $452.64!

Yet upon discovery of this issue on the 21/8 I've had nothing but the run around from Optus.  Firstly I was told they were refunding $77.91.  On advising them that I expected the full amound refunded otherwise I would escalate the issue to the TIO, they escalated my case to a 'supervisor'.  This person then has the gaul to say they can only refund the last 3 months worth of charges - $200 ontop of the $77.91.

Again I insisted I am entitled to a full refund of $452.64 as I did not accept any 3rd party content services.

He then says he's gone back and checked all the available options for the refund and it only covers approx 6 months.

I insisted yet again that I wanted the complete refund of $452.64 citing the conversations in this thread, where Yes Crowd moderator Dan_C advised other customers that ammounts should be refunded irrespective of the age of transaction.  Only then did the supervisor relent and offer a complete refund.

He then called me directly to ask if this was okay and to 'explain' what had happened.  I prompted him to explain why he was antagonistic, offering initially just 3 months, then 6 months, then only when I cited Dan_C offered the full amount.  He's reply - he was following documented procedure and only offered the full amount after realising the procedure was - shock horror, errornous!!!

Blimey!  Only after pushing and citing a Yes Crowd moderators response to clients posts in this thread, did Optus relent!  Question, what the hell are Optus doing if they are admitting their 'policy' is errornous and conceding if pushed with cited references!!  Why have Optus not simply gone straigt to the full refund, yet again!  How many continual cases will Optus treat in this manner, in the hope to keep their grubby hands on money that was stolen??

I'm awaiting my refund.  Anyone that goes through this, ensure that they use the complete credit to pay current and future bills until it's exhausted.  Get rid of any direct debit services with Optus, do not trust them.  Don't forget to set bar all 3rd party content services and set the allocatoin for such to $0!

I have kept full transactions of live chat discussions with Optus staff, as the ability to forward the chat discussion 'mysteriously' never comes to me when requesting it sent to my email.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors