cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

I checked my account yesterday and realised that for the past 4 months this scamming company have taken $55 each month without my knowledge. So you have not cut ties with this scamming company. I got in touch with Optus and the service was appalling. They told me to contact the scammers directly. Haha. Optus replies on this forum are hilarious. Optus need to accept that there is a security issue with their system and it needs addressing. Optus give excuses that these subscriptions are from Facebook ads blah blah.. but there are also other ways that scammers can get subscriptions from people without it being an ad. Links can be disguised and coded. Having a one click process to subscribe is absolutely mind blowing. This can not happen with my credit card, so why can it happen with my mobile phone? There is no confirmation process to let you know you are about to be subscribed to a scam. How does Optus think this is acceptable??? Also, the spend for extra services should be at $0 by default! If a user wants to enter into a subscription then the user should be told to change settings. The average user isn’t going to know about these settings so they can’t turn off something that they are unaware of. I have two business accounts with Optus and will be leaving after my contract is over. The reasons?.. Optus telling me to chase my refund from the company without accepting responsibility for this scam. Also the responses from the Optus staff on this forum are shocking. The excuses they give are pathetic. I finally received my refund after fighting for it but a lot of time was wasted. It’s 2018 Optus, wake up.

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

So, Optus has finally offered a full refund for these fraudulent MIA sphere premium content charges. Initially they couldnt care less and offered $60 on a $290 charge. So i pushed it a little harder and no where. Now all of a sudden i get a full refund and a manager calling asking if i have received comprehensive service. What a turnaround.....Except two days later i read that Telstra has been fined $10million for $63 million in fraudulent premium charges. What a joke optus. Still putting the complaint into the obudsmen. Hopefully your fine will be double to teach you a little lesson.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

SORT THIS SH*&T OUT OPTUS. 

This is a total and utter disgrace. Nobody wants this "MIA Sphere Live' service. I have no idea how I opted in and by reading the droves of forums on this issue it is abundently clear no one else knows how they opted in either. 

Optus take same damn responsibility and put an end to this. It is deceiving, misleading and daylight robbery. 

I have been a loyal customer of Optus for years and you get this rubbish pulled on you. $140 gone. 

Thanks a lot. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Deeds, same with me for almost 500 dollars. Difference is I refused to pay anything more than my plan amount. Optus said talk to 3rd party provider to get charges waived, I refused. Optus scam they can sort it out. After seven months I have sent them the handset back and cancelled the contract. Head for the TIO, you will not believe the difference in communication with Optus once the TIO are involved. I got a pre paid card after Optus stopped my service in the middle of it all, worked fine. Knuckle it out with Optus, you will win......

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Ron66,

Wow $500 that is crazy! Great you didn't have to pay and good to see you stuck by your guns.

All my bills are set up on direct debit.  Thus the money has already been taken. I have been in touch with Optus, they have said I will get my funds returned, so we will see. 

These big companies are taking advantage of the fact that they have a monoply on the market so they do what they want. It is horrendous behaviour. If it were easier to set up a telco, there would be a lot more competition and they certainly wouldn't be pulling this sh*t. 

Thanks for your message. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just discovered 5 months worth of MIA Sphere fees worth   Approx $400. I called Optus and have been assured of a credit and a stop to the billing, but I am incredulous that this has been going on for what appears to be two years without Optus putting an end to the practice. As soon as it was detected Optus should have refused to collect any funds on behalf of what is clearly a complete scam. This is not a legitimate company. Whilst Optus have stopped this moving forward for myself there are still obviously a lot of people being charged, and they are still effectively complicit in this scam. An immediate audit of their client base needs to be conducted and all payments stopped. Additionally all accounts should be set for opt in only for any third party content charges whatsoever, not automatically a $200 limit with a requirement for individuals to reduce to $0. Additionally all third party content subscriptions should require a t&cs page with the client having to agree to these. For Optus to not

implement this is unethical. The only logical conclusion is that Optus have not stopped this is due to them not wanting to for commercial reasons.  This must be a massive money generator for them. My guess this is either directly with Mia sphere, or more likely with similar groups who potentially actually do require subscription through some sort of opt in, which people forget to unsubscribe from or where the phone is in the hands of a minor. In my mind this is only slightly less abhorrent. Does anyone actually know what we where supposed to have received for our subscription with Mis Sphere. With so many of us having subscribed, surely someone must know what we allegedly received for our money? Additionally has there been any progress in highlighting this scam in the media?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just discovered this myself on my wife and daughters joint account. Thought they had been going over their data allowance each month since October last year. Didn't really stop and look into it too much. On checking the bills discovered this appalling MIA Live Sphere. 6.99 each week since September opt-in! Estimating about $250-$300 off the top of my head. Took a long time to finally get the right number to opt-out. Checked the latest bill just now and only the 2 for the month since doing so. Disgusting and not too sure whether or not it's worth the time and fight to get money back now? Have been with Optus since 1995!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @MarkFaw, I'm really sorry only part of the refund was applied in this instance, could you please PM me the below details so I can check it out?

Are you the primary account holder: 

Your full name: 

DOB: 

Account number:

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

On Saturday I checked my bill to find I had 5 charges of 9.99 from MIA Sphere Live. I checked back through all of my bills to find a total of $434.95 in charges. 

I contacted Optus via chat to immediately have my premium messages turned to $0 and have this content blocked. After the Optus representative did this for me she ask if I needed any other help. I asked if they could tell me who I needed to speak to to lodge a request for a refund for the charges. The representative came back and told me yes I can see you have already lodged a request for a refund and you can be assured that this will come through. I said that I had not raised the request previously and I immediately asked how much the refund was and they said $49.95. This representative was lying to me as I had never requested a refund previouslu. I then said no the charges go back to August last year. They came back and offered a 3 month refund to which I said, "No I will be getting a full refund as I never agreed to this subscription and that I will be taking it further to ACCC and social media." The representative came back and assured me I would get a full refund. Well, I am furious because today I received a text to say I would get $72.95 in refund. This is not acceptable. At no point did I agree to this nor did I click on anything to agree to it. I have never been given to option to opt out either. Optus is getting kick backs from this and it is fraud. I will be taking this further to the Telecommunications Industry's Ombudsman. Telstra was just taken to court over this! It is a scam and at no point has Optus tried to protect their customers from this scam. I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years and trusted Optus to protect my account. This has been going on for years and needs to be stopped now! 

I will not be paying my bills until this is resolved in full.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@karen78, completely get your concern. You're right, we should of have offered you a full refund.

Can you send us a private message? We'll need your full name, DOB and mobile number. You can send your details through to → http://yesopt.us/pmdan

It's also worth mentioning that from the24th August 2018, you will no longer be able to purchase content from some Third Party Content Providers via your mobile bill or using your prepaid credit. 

You will still be able to purchase one-off payments such as charity donations, TV voting (e.g. X Factor) and TV competitions (e.g. Eurovision and Channel 7 Sunrise Cash Cow).

More info available on our blog here

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors