cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor Athelstein
New Contributor

Re: How do I get a refund from being scammed by this Optus Gamesaine 2 and Prizesaint? What are they

If Optus charges for services we didn't sign up to it is illegal.

We are getting messages from Video Buzz and other things which imply we will be charged. 

If that materialises I think there are grounds for a class action.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: How do I get a refund from being scammed by this Optus Gamesaine 2 and Prizesaint? What are they

Hey @Athelstein, thanks for reaching out.

We’re no longer allowing customers to purchase certain subscription-based Third Party Content from 31 January 2018 .

It's important to note the following:

If your existing subscription was set up prior to 31 January 2018, it will continue to be charged to your Optus bill or deducted out of your Prepaid credit. There is no change to such existing subscriptions charged by Optus on behalf of the Third Party Content Providers.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Optus-Postpaid-and/...

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Home-Wireless/ba-p/...

For the moment, we'd suggest jumping onto live chat → www.optus.com.au/livechat/pmobiYou'd need to ask the consultant to action the following for you.

• Ask that they set your Premium SMS spend limit to $0.00. This prevents any third party provider from charging your Optus account.
  • Ask that they raise a dispute with MIA Sphere Live. We're looking at a contact time-frame of 2-3 working days. Once the refund has been approved, it'll be credited back into your Optus account by the time your next invoice is due to come through.
  • We suggest paying the difference between your regular charge and premium content service charge. You will not be penalised whilst a dispute is in progress. 

If you need us to follow up on your refund, message us back here and we'll gladly help out

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Forget Scamnet, Scamwatch, ACORN, ACCC, ACMA, etc., but I will put the class action idea to Slater & Gordon and others as the scamming has gone on for ten years and a lot of duped customers would have been told to contact the scammer as Dan_C (Moderator) still does, etc. to get the money back and they never did, so they gave up and there must be a huge pool of funds in the wrong hands a class action could claw back on a no win-no fee basis. The Whirlpool communications forum lists the first scam ten years back.

If Optus does not get the funds lost back after "refuting the charges", then contact the TIO on-line.

New Contributor Hamstah
New Contributor

MIA sphere

Hi just joined here today so this forum and how it works is new to me.

I only just happened to look at my recent mobile/shared data bills and realised I have been charged for MIA Sphere Live services for a lot of months (I dont usually read the fine print) and the latest bill was 4 lots of $9.95 in one month. Is there any way to get Optus to check what it is and how to get the many months reversed?

I am usually at work between 9-5 and cannot use the phone so the 133 937 line is useless to me (bein open only Monday to Friday 9-5).

Thanks for your help.

Greg

0 Kudos
Moderator Ev_

Re: MIA sphere

Hey @Hamstah, welcome to Yes Crowd!

If you're unable to get onto anyone over the phone, we can also take a look into this for you via Live Chat (available 24/7). You'd need to ask the consultant to action the following for you.

•    Ask that they set your Premium SMS spend limit to $0.00. This prevents any third party provider from charging your Optus account.
•    Ask that they raise a dispute with MIA Sphere Live. We're looking at a contact time-frame of 2-3 working days. Once the refund has been approved, it'll be credited back into your Optus account by the time your next invoice is due to come through.

We'll always suggest that you pay the difference between the content charge and your regular monthly access fee. You will not be penalised whilst a dispute is in progress.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Seanny35
New Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

Hi i have been charged 40$ for this. At no time have I consented to this. Please ensure i am no longer subscribessto this and receive a refund. 

0 Kudos
New Contributor poles
New Contributor

Hey Optus,

I too have just had the wonderful pleasure of the MIA Sphere Live charge...yes, I rang the number listed on my bill and opted out (I never Opted In!...) I then contacted Optus Live Chat and was advised that I would hear from the Third party (hah...I won't be holding my breath) in regards to my refund - I will not be paying the amount charged to my account - that I did not approve.

Now lets address the ELEPHANT in the room.... The default amount of  $200 that Optus set for Premium SMS services... I was not ever informed of this, nor did I have any knowledge of this...it was only AFTER an unauthorised amount was charged to my account and I had to waste my time searching for this thread, that I found out, how to turn it off.  Customer Care Optus, no not at all, disgraceful Optus disgraceful. I will be informing Fair Trade and the Teleco Ombudsman of this sinister practice of yours....that you still allow to continue after at least 12 months....

Very Dissapointing Optus...very dissapointing

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I'm not sure if you've had a good read through the thread but we'll always suggest that you pay the difference between the subscription charge and your monthly access fee. We will not penalise you for late payment whilst a dispute is in progress.

In the past we did ask the customer to dispute the charge with the provider directly. Of recent, it's handled internally. We don't ask the subscription provider to contact the customer. They'll simply notify us once the refund has been approved and it'll be applied as a credit to your Optus account.

As of the 31st of January, we’re no longer allowing customers to purchase certain subscription-based Third-Party Content from 31 January 2018 through their Optus mobile services that use the Optus network.

As for the default spend limit of $200.00. You do raise a good point and it's something that's been discussed on the forums in the past and It's something that might need to be reassessed. 

Thanks for the feedback @poles. If there's any other questions, let us know. 

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Ausierob
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Athelstein,

sadly @Dan_C is just giving you the corporate line which is designed to fob you off, so you get discouraged and just pay. The truth is if you apply continuous firm pressure to the Optus call centre they can and will get you the service turned off and refunds sorted for you. 

Keep at them, this is Optus responsibility to police these scammers, who have contracts with Optus to supply these bogus services to which Optus gets a split of the fees. 

Also recommend you logging a complaint with the Telecommunications Ombudsman as well. Optus (and to be clear other telcos are doing it as well) are responsible for the billing and the telco law defines these services must do a double opt in procedure. Which they don't. 

Stay at them, what they are doing is a fraudulent and they must refund you. 

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Ausierob,

In the past, I've personally managed these sorts of enquiries end - end. If the customer has been advised that dispute has been raised, it will be processed. The time frame I've quoted is accurate.

If the customer feels as if the TIO is the only option then that’s absolutely their choice. It's a timely procedure. The dispute process is incredibly easy for an agent to action.

When we input the number, we're given a history of the customers current subscriptions and associated charges, we simply click query and pop in a quick description. The content provider then updates the portal once the query has been resolved.

The refund is processed as an account credit. For those that have asked us to raise a dispute and are yet to see their refund, I encourage you to send me a PM and I'll personally follow up on the request.

Top Contributors