Searching...

Mobile

dodgy charges by BOXPLAY2 (Phone 1300 724-406)

Thom

I have also just had a charge named as  BOXPLAY2   (Phone 1300 724-406) 

With a charge on my latest bill of AUD$36.32   -  Braxton from OPTUS is online chatting to me and is aware of alll these charges that are so unfair and is doing anything to block them and will report it to see if i can be credited?   If they know about this so much and recieve so many complaints cant they simply block it for everyone?     Bloody bloodsuckers these dosgy companies are  ...   

NOT Happy Jan! 

Thom 

Re: MIA Sphere Live Rip off

markdennis

Hi,

check preivous post about this

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/MIA-Sphere-Live/m-p/340416#M46419/jump-to/first-unread-messa...

they usuall get refund, and you need to request to set your premium service set to zero

MIA Sphere Live

Nadjar

Hi,

This is the second bill that I received a surcharge of $35 for some service called "MIA Sphere Live" which I am not sure what is that about. The previous bill also contained $28 of that. I checked the net for that and found that is about a scam. There are also controversy and rumor around the issue that is some sort of compromise between Optus and scammers. How can I firstly fix it not to be charged aby more, secondly be refunded on the next bills what I have paid by this fraud, thirdly complain from Optus about such fraud?

Best,

Nadjar

Kartika

Hi @George100, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry for the delay in reply. Mia Sphere are Premium Content charges come through from the third party to apply on your service providers bill in your case Optus. As such it is not Optus charging you directly. Services like these sometimes subscribe you through banners and advertising on your mobile. This can occur in apps or through your web browser. Unfortunately, you may have inadvertently accepted the subscription this way. Check out this article for more info. Have you spoken to someone in regards to apply barring to Premium content (1900 numbers) on your service and also escalate the charges with the third party (Mia Sphere) to contact you for a full refund? If you still need assistance then just PM us → here your phone number / account number, full name and date of birth so that we can look into this for you.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Dan_C

Hey @George100, I've actually just picked up your private message. We'll chat with you there if you like.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Re: MIA Sphere Live

Kartika

Hi @Nadjar, thanks for reaching out to us as I can understand your concerns with regards to the 3rd party charges on your bill. These are Premium Content charges come through from the third party to apply on your service providers bill in your case Optus. As such it is not Optus charging you directly. Services like these sometimes subscribe you through banners and advertising on your mobile. This can occur in apps or through your web browser. Unfortunately, you may have inadvertently accepted the subscription this way.  Check out this article for more info. We can apply barring to Premium content (1900 numbers) on your service so that you cannot subscribe and will not be charged from now on. Secondly can escalate the charges with the third party (Mia Sphere) to contact you back full refund. Please PM us → here your phone number / account number, full name and date of birth to proceed. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
frank16

Same situation here, have been charged by a content provider MIA Sphere Live. I saw excess charges under my account (which I never have), so I checked up online, read few pages of this discussion, set the premium sms control to 0. 

I am really surprise that this issue has been among us for 3 years and Optus do nothing to solve it. You guys just telling people to set the sms control to 0. That's not the right solution at all! You have to prevent it before it could happen! We wouldn't have to complain at all unless there is scam and fraud like those content providers. Optus have to filter them. We trust you enough to give our personal and financial details but you allow those fraud companies to bill us via your system, which makes you an accomplice of fraud as well. 

This excess charge is going to appear in my upcoming bill and I am not going to pay for it. So now, can any moderator solve this one? 

Dan_C

Hey @frank16, we can definitely raise a dispute with the content provider on your behalf. We'll need you to send us a private message with your account details. We'll need your full name, DOB and mobile number. We've recently cut ties with a number of vendors and I'm certain that we'll see much of less of this occur in the future. I do understand the concern in relation to the default $200.00 spend limit and it's something that we will review.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

FamilyMan

> I am really surprise that this issue has been among us for 3 years and

> Optus do nothing to solve it. You guys just telling people to set the

> sms control to 0. That's not the right solution at all!

The problem is, there are genuine, non-deceptive, premium services.  So turning it off means people can't access those, but leaving it turned on means the cockroaches can.  As far as I'm concerned there are 3 groups at fault here:

1. OPTUS: MIA Sphere must have caused hundreds, if not thousands of people across Australia to lose money over their deceptive so-called, 'business model'.  Optus should have banned MIA Sphere ad IP addresses and/or charging of SIM cards, etc. after  the first 100 people were deceived.  Certaintly not thousands of people, and a few years, later.

2. MIA SPHERE (and other vermin like them): Their services are garbage to begin with, not worth 9 cents, let alone $9!  But combined with their deceptive practices identifies them as little more than common thieves.

3. GOVERNMENT: (Or whoever the COMPLETE TWIT was, that made it legally possible for ANYONE to set up a similar scam to charge our SIM cards with a mere click.)  Even for one-click ebay and Amazon purchases you have to create an account, enter your name, address, credit card, etc., then have it all validated either by them sending a couple of cents to your bank account or you clicking an email validation link, then you have to keep those details current, and be logged in with a username/password to purchase!

It's only common sense purchases should not be added to a SIM card, and at the very least not without some kind of account login being required.

Even free Google Play Store credit earned by doing surveys has more security than this debacle.  So why does something that DOES cost money, have such an easy authority to create fraudulent charges?  i.e. Telcos should not be permitted to add charges to SIM cards. An actual seprate account signup with the actual 'business' charging us should be required.

Sevdanski

If Optus really did want to protect its users from this sorry of routing then there is a very simple solution.

When one of these third party services true to charge someone, Optus should send the person a confirmation SMS. If they say no then block the charge and let the provider know.

People would still be able to use premium content and you would remove the scammers motivation very quickly. You would also save your support staff a lot of time dealing with complaints.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
131 Kudos
128 Kudos
98 Kudos
87 Kudos
56 Kudos