cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere live - Happyclick

I believe content services charges has been discuess here multiple time, 

this usually being acquired when pressing an ADS from your free applicaiton on the phone, facebook links, facebook ads, its all over the internet, since premium services is proactively activated to every mobile number, you're prone to get this unless you will request to turn off your psms.  

anyway you can actually contact billing and request for refund for this. Cheers!

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/MIA-Sphere-Live/m-p/330651#M45604

New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

Hi Optus,

Im acting on behalf of my father (68 years old) who has been charged $40 over the past 4 weeks on his account by MIA Sphere - Xiomnia and he is adament he did not accept anything that would have solicited the charges. Please advise as to how we can recover the costs. I have already set the Premium SMS Spend Control to $0.

Thank you on his behalf,

David and Michael

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

I also have similar charges for MIA Sphere live which I have no clue about, I have talked to an Optus representative via the live chat and he said, I will get refunded for the charges. I have already paid my actual Optus bill for the month which is 80.81 AUD and have not paid for the charges of this MIA Sphere Live which is 39.96 AUD. Will I be charged with late payment, if I havent paid for these charges, as it was already confirmed that I will be refunded with a credit on my account? Please reply as soon as possible. EDITED FOR PRIVACY

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

I received a SMS saying that I will be charged $9.99 for subscription to Wizzgames. As I had not subscribed to this service, did a Google search on Wizzgames and identified it was not operational in Australia, so thought it was a scam and did not respond to the SMS. Then I received my account with $9.99 added. Also, saw the reference to MIA Sphere Live and Wizzgames 2. Again did a Google search and saw this discussion. 

Something I immediately noticed was that customers has been complaining about this MIA Sphere Live since 2014 and there is repeated assurances from Optus that they will not permit charges from them to flow to their custome accounts. But it seems to be continuing. Optus does not appear to be very customer focussed if this is an example of their Customer Care.

Started a live chat with Optus and asked them to set my Premium SMS Spend Limit to 0; block this particular provider; and requested a cancellation of current charge and future charges. All except the last item was actioned. The operator said Optus will raise the issue with MIA Sphere Live for the refund and they have 2 to 3 days to respond by SMS to me. If no reply is received or the response is negative I will have to raise it again with Optus. Intend to do so and if I do not receive a satisfactory response from MIA Sphere Live or Optus will complain to the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

As several people have commented, how many are not bothering to check their accounts and as a result are getting fleeced.

0 Kudos

Re: MIA Sphere live - Happyclick

Hey @Tiz, These are Premium Content charges come through from the third party to apply on your service providers bill in your case Optus. As such it is not Optus charging you directly. Services like these sometimes subscribe you through banners and advertising on your mobile. This can occur in apps or through your web browser. Unfortunately, you may have inadvertently accepted the subscription this way.  Check out this article for more info → here. That`s ok as I can apply barring to Premium content (1900 numbers) on your service so that you cannot subscribe and will not be charged from now on. Also I can escalate the charges with the third party (Mia Sphere) to contact you in 5 working days for a full refund. Can you please PM us → here? here your phone no / account no, full name and DOB to proceed. Kartik

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

And still it goes on. I've just been scammed by this mob. Why are Optus not acting to prevent this.  Grrrrr

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

The same thing has just happened to me. I will not be renewing my contract with Optus when it expires. Optus have been aware of this scam for a long time and yet they still allow it to go on.

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am unfortunatley a victim of this as well.Optus actually offered to contact the provider and have them call me to offer me a refund. How rediculous!! 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I just got my monthly bill and discovered that my wife had been hit by this scam.

The only thing she could recall doing was clicking through a slide show on facebook when she got an SMS saying that she had been signed up to some trivia crap.  She immediately replied stop but she was already billed $14.

How is this even possible? How do I go about getting this taken off my bill?  

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Some observations:

* The reps here can only state the double-speak Optus requires them to say. No point calling the reps 'stupid', etc.

* The solution to this entire fiasco is quite simple.  So while Optus customers are quite angry, they definitely are more than justified in that when the obvious and simple solution hasn't been employed by Optus.  That is, reject all future invoicing and/or block all IP addresses to do with MIA Sphere - at least until they cease this dishonest practice.  (Yeah, right. As if.)  Optus can block pirating sites quite ok when directed by the government.  So why not MIA Sphere for the protection of its customers?  Because what MIA Sphere does is technically 'legal'?  Well so are registered brothels.  So going by that logic, perhaps Optus should only advertise on the side of brothels from now on.

* I can't think of another instance in the business world, where random customers find themselves invoiced by business #1 (who they HAVE provided their financial and personal details to), on behalf of a pathetic zero-value service from business #2 (who they did NOT provide their financial or personal details to).  Therefore it shouldn't exist in this situation either.

* When I signed up for a mobile broadband SIM, I was told it is a "data-only SIM".  And I specifically asked could I make/receive calls or SMS.  (In fact I asked several different Optus staff, several times.  In-store, online, and via phone.)  The answer was invariably: NO to all of the above.  This makes it literally impossible for mobile broadband customers to send STOP to parasites like MIA Sphere.  Therefore it naturally follows it should also be impossible for MIA Sphere to automatically subscribe Optus mobile broadband customers who HAVE NO SMS ACCESS.  It should be turned OFF by default.

* Reps have pointed out there are genuine content providers.  There sure are!  But because MIA Sphere is so deceptive and dishonest, the only way to block them for certain, is to turn off ALL content providers.  Big hint here, Optus: When a business has to resort to morally deceptive practices to 'sell' their utter rubbish service - it's - an rubbish service!  And they should be blocked for the good of everyone - Optus customers, honest content providers. and Optus itself.

* I did not click or give my permission for anyone to subscribe me to, or charge me for, anything. But even if I had done so, my mobile broadband SIM is inserted into a MODEM.  Not a tablet, nor a phone.  So there should be no way for these bottom-feeding vermin to link anything I *do* click, directly to my SIM 'phone' number, or Optus account! This also means MIA Sphere are subscribing and claiming payment from RANDOM PHONE NUMBERS.

* Reps here keep saying to turn off premium content in your account and explaining how. Well I've followed their various instructions to do just that, and have clicked everything in sight in my 'dashboard' too.  But that setting cannot be found.  I had to ask Optus online chat to turn it off. How can it be we are so easily signed up and charged by a third party, but we have NO easy method to turn it off ourselves.

The general summary of the above is... Optus (at least seems to be) doing all it can to facilitate this known persistent scam, instead of protecting its customers.  And then telling us to give our personal details away to them!  Are scammers like MIA Sphere really the kind of businesses Optus wants to align itself with?  Is the hassle of constantly arranging refunds, and constantly dealing with agro customers over this same dishonest company, really worth devaluing your own business reputation?  If no: then do us all a favour and block their IP range.

Anyway, here's my situation:

I pay manually via BPAY when the Optus invoice arrives each month.  Direct debit is not setup.  I have not paid the invoice I just received, because it has several fraudulent charges from MIA Sphere.  Optus online chat claims they have blocked premium content on my account.  Then (eventually) told me to PAY the invoice containing the fraudulent charges, and those charges would be credited back to me later.  He then asked for my SIM 'phone' number.

I later realised those last two sentances are carefully crafted by livechat (in the usual telco double-speak) in order to give me the false impression Optus will refund the amount.  This means livechat engages in the SAME TYPE of DISHONEST behaviour!

How do I know?

a) Because later I used livechat a second time, and she said my phone number was required so Optus could direct MIA Sphere to phone me so I could request a refund from them. (You've really got to be joking, Optus.)

b) When the first livechat rep implied he would 'arrange a refund' I then said, "I'm not on direct debit.  So I haven't been charged yet, so I don't need a refund.  I just need the fraudulent charges removed.  So I'll go ahead and pay the usual Optus monthly amount but forget about paying the fraudulent MIA Sphere charges."  THEN he said, "You need to pay [the lot you've been invoiced for] as the refund will be there in the next bill".  When I said no, I'm not paying it only to have it refunded again, he said, "I am sorry there will be a overdue in your bill [if I don't pay the full scammed amount]".

I'm sorry, but NO!  It's a ridiculous demand and I'm not doing it. (And actually I'm not sorry.  We're the ones being wronged here.)

* I am NOT going to pay an invoice containing fraudulent charges, obtained by DECEIT (at best), or by MIA Sphere entering random phone numbers (at worst).
* I am NOT giving my phone number, my name, bank details, or any other private info to a deceptive and dishonest company I did not, and never would, deal with.
* I am NOT paying the fraudulent MIA Sphere charges and then try to arrange my own refund from them!?  It's just ridiculous.  Particularly when I see several examples in this thread of MIA Sphere lying, giving only partial refunds, and threatening and abusing Optus customers.

Would anyone at Optus be thick enough to hand their wallet or purse over to a thief, on some vague promise by a third party they might return it later (and won't use your driver license and credit cards for nefarious purposes and/or keep most of the money it contains)?

Of course not.  And neither will I.

I did NOT give my express permission for MIA Sphere to charge my *OPTUS*(!) account, did not give them my personal details, and they should not be able to randomly add SIM 'phone numbers' to their subscription database either. So they'll get exactly ZIP out of me.

Conclusion:

I wish all companies like MIA Sphere be blocked from accessing my SIM phone number, their fraudulent charges removed from my account, and a corrected invoice emailed to me as confirmation that has occured so I can pay my usual $70 per month.  Could a rep please explain how I achieve exactly that.

0 Kudos