cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

I have just noticed 3 charges for content from MIA Sphere Live, which I did not opt in for. If this has been a known scam for so long how can Optus still be allowing it to occur??

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: barring premium sms

A few things with Premium SMS. The authorisation is provided to the company who provides the premium sms service, not Optus. Optus (or any other provider for that matter), is required to charge you and pass on the costs to the company in question. Refunds are also supposed to be provided by the company in question.

All providers have the option of reducing premium sms to $0, which prevents anything being charged.

The TIO will also tell you the same thing. The complaint should be against company requesting funds, not your service provider. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Topher1976 - you have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, authorisation was NOT provided and nor did Optus go through expected due diligence to ensure that it was, yet Optus went ahead and provided access to their customers' account details and money.

Optus and similar providers will find themselvrs eating humble pie over this eventually, because again they have shown they have plenty of overpaid managers and executives who have no idea how to proactively think from a customer or ethical perspective.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi,

I just received my bill and I just noticed I got MIA Sphere Live charge as well for $13.55 and I didn't sign up to anything. Can this be removed? I also would like to know what caused this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Wow. Just looked at my latest bill and I've been charged a total of $90.80 for this rubbish. Please let me know how I can:

- get the charges removed from my bill

- block this service so I don't have to worry about it again in the future.

Bill.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

This has just happened to me as well. Optus, please reply as I would like a refund for the amount I have been charged.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I too have recently been charged by MIA Sphere Live: $9.99 for a service i didnt even know about until i recieved an SMS from them saying I was subscribed to one of their weekly charged services.

After sending an SMS at MIA Sphere Live to OPTOUT, I  found out what lots of people on this forum  have discovered and saw that my Spend Control was set at  the default $200.I immediately limited my Spendcontrol to $0.

When i looked at my Content Transactions tonight to see if they had billed me again,(start of a new week..) I had a transaction from MIA Sphere Live dated 30/10(today) for : -$9.99. Does the minus symbol denote that i have been reimbursed the amount?Or that they have tried to take more money out?I just want it resolved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I agree - this is woeful. I have a broadband modem with an Optus sim card inside (AC800s). Repeat - the sim is installed in a modem and not a phone. I have been charged over the last 2 bills, as well as the current month, for premium sms services I HAVE NOT subscribed to. I chatted with an Optus online chat person "Celia". She suggested that I follow a procuedure to set up a spend limit. The menu she referred to wasn't featured in my account. I told her this and she said "don't worry - I have set the spend limit to zero for you'. I asked her why I could not access this on my account - she didn't answer. I asked her to email confirmation that she had set the spend limit to zero - no email came.

Luckily, I printed the chat window as evidence

What I am going to do is this. I will await my next bill. I will issue a small claim in the Perth's magistrates court - walk into the Optus office in Perth - and serve the writ of summons on a staff member. Each and every time I am overcharged - I will issue a new summons. I will be seeking costs and a judgement for the amount I am being ripped off. I think it is also time to appracoh the ACCC.

I'd also have standing to ask the court to disolve the contract. Telstra may be more expensive, but at least they are not thieving me blind.

OPtus should hang their heads in shame for supporting this illegal activity.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @Roseanne64 and  @Gavriel I'm really sorry to hear about the troubles you've had with these third parties. If you could please PM the full name, number and date of birth attached to your account here →http://yesopt.us/pmphil we'd be more than happy to assist in stopping any of these charges being applied in the future, and dispute and charges already applied.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey all, if you didn't authorise the charges we'll be able to block the content provider, dispute the charges, and request a refund for you. You'll just need to have a chat with our Billing team when you get a chance.

0 Kudos