Searching...

Mobile

Re: MIA Sphere Live

JustinB

Hey @Clubby - there definitely shouldn't be any way to be able to subscribe to this content if the spend limit is at $0. Can you please just confirm if the dates for the Premium SMS charges that are listed down on the invoice before or after you changed the spend limit? If you're authorised on her account, can you please send us a private message with the number + the PIN number and we'll follow this up?

We can definitely follow this up for you on our end also @Shaun76. If you don't hear back from them, let us know and we can escalate this for you. Please just send us your full name, number + DOB via the link I provided above and we'll be in touch.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Re: How do I get a refund from being scammed by this Optus Gamesaine 2 and Prizesaint? What are they

Tom020

Don't pay the extra fee on the bill, and dispute it through the telicommunications ombudsman.
This is a very common problem, and optus (other isps do the same) will claim that these entities are legitimate and that they obtained your consent legally, but a large majority of the time, they don't get your consent legally.

If you do your research, you will find that multiple companies (a lot of these will change their name after being sued multiple times) have been sued for millons, but it does not stop them, because they are making a lot more than what they get sued for, or for what the ACC stings them for when they are investigated.

The ISP's such as Optus claim no part in these scams, yet they do not offer support when something clearly suspicious happens with these services.

Again, simply don't pay for the service. Pay the rest of your bill owed to Optus, and dispute it through the ombudsman.
They cannot pass on the debt to a debt collector, or ask you to pay it while your debt is being disputed through the ombudsman.
Disputing the fees through an ombudsman will force the ISP to do an investigation into it, and force them to prove you consented, which likely will not happen.
The ISP would have a claim from the third party company saying "we got consent through an online web form", or "the client responded yes to a text" blah blah blah, not signature, nothing. Just a claim that you did something to consent. Its only a claim with ZERO evidence of consent a majority of the time.

When you get billed by optus, thats clear cut. You signed a contract for that.
With these third party apps, that trick you into "consenting" are not getting legal consent. They are misleading people into clicking a link, which then creates a log saying you consented to a service, when you were more likely trying to figure out how to stop their spamming!

You are not legally obligated to pay something they cannot prove you have a legally binding contract with. Period.

Re: How do I get a refund from being scammed by this Optus Gamesaine 2 and Prizesaint? What are they

Tom020

"This is outright fraud and theft, and Optus seems to be complicit in it."

They are not complicit with it.
They are just ignorant to it because it probably makes them millions.

Even with all the hours staff spend on dealing with the complaints.

This isn't just optus either, its pretty much any ISP out there.
But with any ISP you can still dispute charges through an ombudsman and get a fair look at what is going on.
Otherwise, the ISP often will just say

"sorry sir, but it appears you have indeed consented to this on this date at this time, by clicking a link. Had you read the text properly you will see that you consented by doing the action you did, so we unfortunately cannot refund that for you today".

They would likely at least have to get permission from their senior staff in order to reverse fees on a bill, but in this case, its a little harder, because Optus has already paid the third party, and collecting the fees assosiated with that from you recover that loss.

So basically when you ask for a refund for these types of fees, you are asking optus to take the charge, and either absorb the cost themselves, or they will have to dispute it directly with the third party themselves.

prodos

That Optus has not already been done this makes Optus (and other provider who allow this sort of thing) complicit. 

That Optus is profiting from this, puts them into another category -- a word which this forum system does not allow.

SherylB

Dear Optus, 

I just wanted to advise the Optus Team that I have just paid my recent invoice (#815756829 for the billing period 7/6/17 - 6/7/17) MINUS the "content charges" plus GST of $20.99. I will not be paying these charges or the charge (plus GST) for $6.36 which is yet to be billed. I have paid for all charges and services that I have agreed to, in my contract with Optus. These charges have been applied to my account without my authorisation or consent. I phoned the customer centre last Thursday (13/7/17) at 11:42am to organise a credit for these unauthorised charges. The lady whom I spoke with advised that she had lodged a complaint on my behalf. Could you please advise how long it will take to resolve this issue and my account credited for these unauthorised charges?

Thanks, Sheryl

Gen_R

Hey SherylB - we're more than happy to assist with your query. We'd need you to shoot a PM here with your full name, DOB and the account number so we can look into this for you further. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

AKK

Why is Optus allowing these criminals to scam its valued customers??

Let me give you a word of advice - THEY ARE ALL SCAMS.

NO ONE HAS SIGNED UP TO THIS RUBBISH KNOWINGLY.

NO ONE WANTS TO SPEND $100 ON TRIVIA CRAP.

THEY ARE CRIMINALS.

IT IS BEHOLDEN MORALLY ON OPTUS TO STOP THESE CRIMINALS FROM SCAMMING US.

NO OTHER RESPONSE IS ACCEPTABLE.

STOP THESE CRIMINALS AND THEIR SCAMS OPTUS. NOW!

Highlighted

Tom020

@AKK you are exactly right.

They are all scammers, but optus unfortunately will not stop them, even with the multiple millions of dollars these organisations have been told to pay up after court cases say they clearly and deliberately mislead consumers on a day to day basis.

One gets taken to court and shut down, and they just open up a new on under a new name from a foreign entity.

optus should be shutting these people down they same way the courts are.

But no, theyd rather keep making millions pocketing commissions from these scam entities.

prodos

I wrote "Optus Support has told me that I will be phoned by someone and that I will be refunded."

Reporting that I have not yet been contacted by anyone.

That means that I have to expend even more precious time chasing up this thing.

Optus is dragging its feet and not taking responsibility.

It is Optus who has consented to tie my account -- and the accounts of who knows how may other poor sods -- to these scammers, not me.

It is Optus who maintains a low standard of verification from these so-called "third parties".

It is Optus who, although they know of the problem, and know the extent to which they profit from this scam, and what the root cause of the problem is, are not doing their best to fix it and rectify their wrongs.

Nam_L

Hey @AKK, I've replied to your alternatively YesCrowd post. If you're still needing support on the matter, please get back to me there.

@prodos really sorry you've yet to be contact. I'd be more than happy to follow this up. Could you please PM me here → Clicky confirming your mobile number, full name and DOB.

Cheers, 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
50 Kudos