Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

Call 1509 and tell them there are charges on your bill that you are disputing - I got someone in the Phillipines but she was pretty good.   Apparently you pay the bill minus the disputed charges, and then expect to receive system generated emails/SMS messages telling you you've underpaid your bill - she told me to ignore these.

Apparently the underpayment gets waived in the next bill, or even the one after that. 
I'll see how it plays out

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thought I'd give this a cheeky bump.Like many others in this thread I've been the victim of MIA Sphere Live Like a few other posters I got the text message to opt out and thinking it was spam, deleted it (Not knowing I was being charged 6.31 every time) After getting my bill I noticed five charges for this amount. Jumping on to Optus to have a Live chat I was met by Morris who helped me to the best of his ability but was not able to credit me these costs. He argued that Optus does not have access to credit these third party charges (If thats the case why am I paying Optus, why don't I just pay MIA directly) I was then transferred to Arthur who is allegedly a 'supervisor' and I use that word very loosely. I told himI called the number they provided who stated they had no record of my number and therefore couldn't provide a refund. I went back to Arthur with this information expecting Optus to action on my behalf. His response was a simple no we can;t credit So I ask Optus here, what do i do?, I have a service I never signed up for, (Optus admit there is no proof I signed up for it) The 3rd Party has no record of my number in their system so can't process a refund and Optus themselves wont credit the charges I am stuck with a charge of 31.80 that can't be credited? Taken this up further with the TIO to sort on my behalf. I've been an Optus customer for 12 years and I can safely say I won't be one for much longer. This is clearly a scam, how optus can even support this is beyond me
Highlighted

Hi @Robbbo, apologies for the inconvenience caused. As a service provider we can't bar these SMS unless we've a go ahead from you. There are  lots of customers who use these services and because of this we have to leave the access to premium SMS. Please let us know if you want to confirm if your Premium SMS have been barred?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Really sorry @Grrug that you had to escalate your enquiry to TIO. Since the enquiry has already been escalated to TIO a case manager will be in contact with you in the given time frame. If you can provide any enquiry reference number you've been given, I can check to see if there's any updates to the status of the enquiry. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

@Aman_B I have received an SMS from Optus confirming that my 'access to Premium Nos and Content services has been deactivated from today' and given me a reference number.  I will see how it goes with the phone call from MIA Sphere which I have been told to expect within 10business days

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Thanks for the update @Robbbo! If you have any trouble such as you don't receive the promised call from the content provider, don't hesitate to send us a private message as we'll happily follow it up for you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi All,

I too have been a recent victim of this scam having received a nasty surprise when I checked my bill yesterday.

Apparently this can also hit you if you have other devices on a shared data arrangement, in my case I have an Optus 4G wireless usb modem linked to my plan. I do not use a smart phone - still have an older (to be superceded soon) 2G style mobile I use for calls and SMS only and use the modem for limited internet access.

As soon as you notice the discrepancy in your bill, raise it with Optus immediately as the scammers are expoiting PSMS (premium SMS). I visited my local shopfront today and was referred to on site to a Customer Care person who handled the issue professionally.

The matter has been handled in a similar way to Robbo's and like him, I await to see the outcomes.

A big kudos to the customer care lady I spoke to today. Will share the outcomes as they happen.

Keep safe on the internet all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

It's good to hear you were helped with this @rhodes73. Please let us know via PM if you need further help with this 🙂 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am furious at the service I have received from Optus. I was shocked at the bill I received in March so I contacted there support to ask them why I was illegally charged by these fraudsters MiaSphere. They assured me that I was to get a refund and that I would no longer be fraudulently subscribed to any services. I never signed up for these services and I got no notifications about what I was being charged and how to unsubscribe.

However the April bill arrives and not only did I not get a refund, I get charged again by MiaSphere. What sort of service does Optus run, saying they'll get everything fixed but they do nothing? I have been assured again that I have been unsubscribed but after my experience I'll believe it when I see it.

Optus makes an excuse that they are 'third party' providers and they have no control but why are they taking money for them? Let these fraudsters get my credit card details themselves if they want to charge me, I REFUSE to let you charge me on their behalf for their services.

Hope your happy with your little bit of money you stole from me, because at the end of my contract I will be voting with my feet and take my business elsewhere because I will not sign up to Optus if it allows such behaviour to occur. And if I still get no action I will definitely be going to contact the TIO and see what options I have, I have got the transcript from my previous chat so the TIO can see the (lack of) service Optus has provided.

Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @Wesleyb57 I'm really sorry to hear about the troubles you've had with these premium SMS charges. We'd be happy to set your spend limit at $0 to avoid any future fees being applied, or you can do this yourself here →https://goo.gl/K0Q9kh. We're also happy to dispute any more charges that have been applied and arrange for a refund, we'd just need you to send through the full name, number and date of birth attached to the account via a PM.

0 Kudos