Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
eguitarist
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

When I called optus initially last week they blocked yobee for me but advised that I have to call them myself on 1300724406 which I did. An automatic voice says that the service provider is no longer at this number and to call 1300271435 instead. I called that number and was redirected twice by their automatic system then reached an operator who unsubscribed me from their service but said refunds cannot be sorted over the phone. He asked me to email info.au@ccsupport.biz which I did and received a reply asking for my bank details for the refund. Am still waiting for it but I understand it might take awhile. After I spoke to optus again this time and got the same direction to call myself, I emailed info.au@ccsupport.biz again asking to have the new charges removed and got a reply saying they will contact me again once they have consulted their colleagues in the technical department. I think optus needs to understand that some people work 8-5 without any scheduled breaks (ask any doctor in training) and don't really have the time to keep calling to follow things up during business hours. I expect that as I am paying optus a fee for their service that optus at least helps with this instead of always telling me that it is all up to me to call and follow it up.
0 Kudos
Bilby210
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello All, including the moderators,

I really was not going to get involved with this premuim content scam again, but I feel I cannot stand by whilst it continues.

So I post this message in the hope that all will be resolved to the benefit of all customers affected.

I would make the following observations and suggestions:

There is no doubt that this is a scam & I would guess that many $100k are being made by the third party providers. And aided and abetted by Optus and other telcos.

Recently there was an article in The Australian Newspaper about the same scam in the USA by Mobiwatch, which I believe is associated with Miasphere. The Third party provider was found guilty and fined many $1000 of dollars, because in the USA it is a illegal and an offence to subcsribe mobile users to third party content without their explict permission. Here in Australia there are only guidelines, which are not complied with by Optus, probably Telstra also. There is what is known as Double Opt-in and this is mentioned in the guidelines. This alone would legitimise premium content subscriptions.

Please all look at: acma.gov.au & commsalliance.com.au where you will find via links the guidelines.

You will also find that Stuart MacIntyre of Optus has been made Chair of the Board of AMTA - amta.org.au _ Australian Mobile Telecommunications Association.

I would suggest everyone disaffected should email Stuart MacIntyre

Also it may be that all this information and all the posts should be brought to the attention of your local Fair Trading Department and your local MP.

I would add that, apart from this. I have always been very happy with Optus service. Optus and Telstra for that matter have not done anything illegal, they have, just for profit, not followed the industry guidelines. The sooner the guidelines are made lawful the better. The MP's should take this on-board.

William

Hollie
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @eguitarist, definitely does sound like you've had a bit of a run around. More than happy to have a look at what's been done on our side of things and just make sure we've put your spend to $0. If you can send through a PM with your full name, DOB and the Mobile number I'd be more than happy check this out for you.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
pbj
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Wow, this has been going on for this long, and I've only just been bitten myself. "Yes Optus", you were helpful in setting my premium spend to $0........ Is that your solution??????? Optus, you have known about this problem all this time and you are abetting this constant theft under the guise of "premium subscription"? What is their hold over you?

If an owner allows one of their wild animals to roam around and bite people they are liable by law but you think it is alright that you give all those bitten a band-aid and say it's alright now.

Perhaps if we all subscribed to a class action against Optus they might do something since it is only by their inaction that this continues to happen, even now in 2017.

BLOCK MIA SPHERE   BLOCK MIA SPHERE   BLOCK MIA SPHERE

0 Kudos
Lexus666
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

All,

This is like a getting a parcel you didn't want with a message like "You didn't get this crappy gift for $100. Don't worry, we've already been payed and passed the debt to a debt collector who has taken his cut and if you don't pay they will knee-cap you. Have a nice day".

0 Kudos
Sam_D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey @pjb - apologies if this wasn't the outcome you were hoping for. As we've mentioned above, more often than not these Premium Content services are intentionally requested/subscribed. Completely understand that it's never nice to see an unexpected charge on your bill, however in these situations we have a very effective dispute process in place. Here to help if you need assistance with this in the future.

0 Kudos
Fizz
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: barring premium sms

The Zoo log in links look like Zoo has shut down and I can't logon to reduce the spend limit to zero.  Is there another way?

0 Kudos
macy517
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have finally got through reading all the posts on this forum.  Interesting reading.

I too am now a ‘victim’ of this scam. Just picked it upon my last bill ($44.16) and current billing period already has $25.26. Not much I know but as everyone acknowledges, add this to the growing list of those affected and it makes for a tidy sum.

Optus customer support were little help but did patch me through to one of the help lines associated with the subscriptions I had been stung by, someone who said he was merely the ‘middle man’ between the customer and the service provider. From a company supposedly called 1300 Support, or PowerCom Interactive Media.   After much robust discussion he said that he could only arrange a refund of payments made in the last month. This will supposedly appear as a credit on my bill (is that likely???) Considering my payments have only been going on for 5 weeks, that one month of payments is almost all of one of the services, ‘’Toopklub’. But this does not account for the other service I have been stung by, as this guy tells me has nothing to do with them.   He gave me a 1800 number for the other service ‘Hip Fun’

This ‘Hip Fun’ guy was less helpful. Said he would only arrange for a refund of payments in the last 2 weeks, by cheque, if I provided him with my full name, email, and home address!! I politely told him what I thought of his suggestion. He said otherwise I could email their ‘team’ at ccau@hipfun.mobi and ask for a full refund, providing my name, address and email.   They woluld then consider it and get back to me.   So, no likelihood of a refund from them I would suggest. Only 31.80 but still…

Live chat with Optus. Around in circles, ultimately saying “Only they can sort out the issue, not us regarding the content service”

Looks like I’ll join the queue in complaining to the TIO.

Like everyone else, I am appalled that Optus allow this to continue.   Really sorry I moved my phone services over to them.

I have been amused by some of the moderator responses over this forum, in particular “We're definitely here to help and if you feel that you haven't subscribed to these content providers knowingly, we would raise a case for them to get in contact to discuss it further.”

Here to help…..   Yet to see that!

If you feel you haven’t subscribed… We don’t ‘feel’, we ‘know’ we haven’t subscribed

Raise a case for them to get in contact to discuss further…. What’s the point.   I think enough people have expressed their frustration in dealing with ‘them’.

Will let you know the outcome of the TIO complaint.

0 Kudos
eguitarist
New Contributor
New Contributor

I did get refunded but put a complaint to ACCC as I can't see how this is legal. Both uninformed and unconsented "subscription".
0 Kudos
Mike-N
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: barring premium sms

If you send us a private message with your phone number, full name and date of birth @Fizz, we'll be able to help you reduce your premium content spend limit 🙂 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos