Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor csmiley75
New Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live

I've opened up my bill sms today to see it $20 over the usual monthly rate and thought it was my fault somehow. Lucky I checked my account. Turns out it was this scam that everyone is posting about. I don't understand why it's recommended that I remove myself from having premium services just so that scammers can't do this to my account. I did unsubscribe recently from something, hoping that I did opt out of the scammer one mostly. But Optus, have you considered that at one point you started text messaging me (I'm guessing everyone else too) with guff about do I want this and I can get that, on top of texting me about my bill. Another text about this and that from a scammer really doesn't stand out from the crowd. I have email overload at work, and at home, and text messages are just another form of information that honestly I don't need and often too busy to read. Optus, you should consider putting in more money to come up with better ways to protect your customers or you might just find yourself the Kodak of telecommunications.

Highlighted
New Contributor firecat
New Contributor

I was scammed like a lot of other people.

I don't understand why optus don't bar the company since there doesn't seem to anything legitimate about them.

I'm also wondering what everyone has done to subscribe to the bogus service. At least I'm assuming something was done (perhaps calling a missed call ?)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Hey @firecat - we don't bar premium content as there are people who use it voluntarily through voting / in app purchases. Generally speaking, people are subscribed by clicking on an ad on Facebook or in a 3rd party apps. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Korcu
Occasional Contributor

That is a load of rubbish.  You are responsible for the services you provide to the customers.  I am one of the customers who was a victim of this scam like many other people who wrote to this post.

If you receive all those scam complaints, it is your duty to bar the MIA Sphere crap and completely shut them down off Optus network.  THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO SILLY MODERATOR!!!!

UNFORTUNATELY GOOD COMPANIES LIKE OPTUS LOSE AWFUL LOT OF BUSINESS BECAUSE OF IDIOTS LIKE YOU..

HAVE A GREAT DAY

Highlighted
New Contributor Fei
New Contributor

I am really surprised to find that this Mia Sphere scam has been around since 2015 and so many Optus customers (and I am the latest victim, I supposed) have complained via this thread. I am sure Optus would have known about Mia Sphere and blocked it from reaching all customers. The fact it is still around suggests something is not right.

Highlighted
New Contributor cthing
New Contributor

Hi Gen,

Your response is just the same as mia sphere

AirG etc.

Blaming the victim is pretty poor form.

NONE of the people on here authorised such a transaction.

Myself included.

These so called accounts were setup in an illegal and misleading manner.

I have submitted a report to the Australian Federal Police. ACORN.

I can only hope they are able to do something.

And will happily assist them in any way I can.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Korcu
Occasional Contributor

Hey Gen,

God help us if you guys like you are making these decisions at Optus!!!!

You DO NOT BAR PREMIUM CONTENT..  or any other services to your customers..

YOU NEED TO BAR and DEAL WITH THE CROOK COMPANY MIA SPHERE LIVE  AND STOP THEIR DOGGY AND ILLEGAL PRACTICES.

at the end of the day, they are using your network and system   and if you say, you cannot stop them, you should not be in this business.

Please go and tell your bosses to do the right thing!!!

Go on you can do it!!!

cheers mate

Highlighted
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

We can definitely pass your feedback on @Korcu and more than happy to set your spend limit to $0 if this hasn't already been done for you in the past.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor NAD
Occasional Contributor

Re: MIA Sphere Live HotXL

How did you get this blocked?  I just found out tonight that I have been charged almost $120 excess for this rubbish.  Not happy with Optus and will be looking to leave as soon as I can.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Palamede
New Contributor

Given all the messages and complaints, I am appalled that Optus continues to allow MIA Sphere Live access to its customers' network. I received my July/August 2016 bill today and noticed some anomalies. I have a recurring weekly charge of $9.08 over 5 weeks from MIA Sphere Live, totalling $45.80, on my iPad 4G account; and one for $6.00 from Magicplanet Invest, which it turns out now has been charged to me for several months but without my noticing it on previous bills. The Optus helpline person has now blocked content services for me, but has told me that I cannot get full credit for this scam from Optus, and that I must contact the scammers directly. I think this is really poor form on the part of Optus. I was on the phone for 41 minutes to Optus trying to get this resolved.

Top Contributors