Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Spewin
Occasional Contributor

Loyal customer offer

Hi, I was recently contacted by a representative of optus with an offer to loyal customers, I was offered 12months contract at $18.75 a month, unlimited talk/text with 4Gb of data, unused data to be rolled over, I already had 4.32Gb rolled over on my prepaid account @1.5Gbp/m.

2 days after I recharged.

The next day I checked my balance and data and found that I only had 1.5Gb data, after enquiries I realized that I had had the plan grossly misrepresented to me, I contacted optus to take advantage of the cooldown period on any new contract mandated by Australian law and return my account to its prepaid status, this request was refused, my first bill was $44.99, after some investigation I find that it is in fact a share account and MY SHARE of the data is 1.5Gb, who is getting the rest of my data?

Who is watching the sport pack I am being billed for, I do not appreciate being lied to, do you? Also, I seem to be getting billed in a 21-25 day month, optus cannot or refuses to give me any intelligent answers, it appears they are quite content to allow their representatives lie and con customers because it is profitable, this matter is being refered to the statutory authority in Australia, the telecommunications ombudsman

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Occasional Contributor

Re: Loyal customer offer

P.s before optus I was with Vodafone for 12 years, never had a problem, reuniting with a trusted provider ASAP

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

Its possibly not all as bad as it seems. That said, the "cooldown period" is a serious legal obligation and should have been honoured. You don't mention dates but is it still in that period? I just mention this because calls to staff and livechat might not end up on the record. I'd write a letter (and keep a copy) requesting the plan be rescinded ASAP. You should also have been given contracts to read as part of any unsolicited offers?

Seperate to that its unclear what the gross misrepresentation are? The first month is generally a bit confusing with Optus. Optus often adds in extras and bonuses through the month or in the second month.

1. First month usually bills a month in advance (so you'd expect at least $37:50)

2. Credits etc. are usually applied from th second month on (so you might be charged for a sport pack but the corresponding credit has yet to appear)

3. The sports pack you have is generally included for free (you'll see a charge on your bill but also a credit to bring it to $0)

4. All postpaid accounts are 'share' accounts. You only have one phone on the bill so you're sharing with no-one. If you got another phone under the same bill then the data of these phones could be shared automatically.

5. As mentioned the first bill is often a bit difficult, you possibly got a billing date set the first month and there after its always billed on that date each month.

6. Post Paid contracts don't have rollover data. Your salesman might be looking to just make a one off manual 4Gb boost to your account (might take a month to happen or already be there). Hopefully a request to add this will be honoured.

The 1.5Gb limit seems the main issue IMO. Can you confirm that is possibly a mistake or that Optus feel you are definitely on a 1.5Gb plan. That is the area I would concentrate getting resolved as the rest is likely a non issue after the first month is done.

Edit: Quick re-read and it seems you are actually ok with a 1.5Gb plan as was offered and you are getting. Its just the 4Gb one off you're after. That data may have been added but just not shown up in the data used menus (happens). It is also not usual in a post paid as mentioned so possibly overlooked. Definitely chase down where it is and again the rest seems to be not actually an issue? 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Moderator Vicky

@Spewin - Thanks for getting in touch with us. Can appreciate that this is frustrating and certainly not how we want your onboarding experience to be like. If you were offered a contract for this particular plan we do have to abide by the terms outlined as well - can I get you to confirm the name of the plan, as well as the inclusions? More than happy to take a look at this for you - please send us your details here → http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat so we can take a look for you.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

As I have stated I was contacted by an optus representative by phone, I was told everything I wanted to hear after some questions to me, told me $18.75 a month on a 12 month contract, 4Gb data, data would roll over, unlimited text &talk, "A special offer to loyal customers" no I will no longer continue to try to sort it with chat, time for the ombudsman, might be some issue with optus adhearing to data retention if information is not retained, as for the written information on contract, apparently my email didn't work, first time in 15 years, how convenient, optus has lost me and I have no intent to continue dealing with a company that employs liars and con men.

Moderator Vicky

@Spewin - disappointed to hear you feel that way. If this was the contract that was signed off for this service we would be more than happy to follow that and get to the bottom of it. Should you change your mind we would love to assist further.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry, I'm a bit tired of people "trying to get to the bottom of it" fact is one of your contracted telco operators in some third world country is running con's, probably on a commission basis, look at the chat records for my account, most mysteriously drop out after person has to admit that I'm right and they have no answer. All I wanted was for my prepaid to be restored and this misrepresented contract made void. Now it will be a legal matter,  as I understand the law, any corporate entity is responsible for any unlawful act of it's employees and or subcontracted agents under common law, although I am quite adept at legal proceedings, I find them tedious and would much rather enjoy my early retirement on my remote property, if you are earnest in your claim to be able to remedy this abhorrent situation I would greatly appreciate your success, but if your answer is a link to another useless chat help line it's been done to death for me. Thank you for you input.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It seems a lot of vitriol (not to mention hassle) just because of a missing 4Gb? You appear to have got the deal you signed up for (once you understand the factors involved.)  Rolling the 4Gb over is unusual and as mentioned may be yet to be applied to your current plan. 

However, as it was a new contract and apparently Optus contacted you unsolicited (i.e. you didn't call, livechat  to ask about options) then the cooling off period definitely applies. The good news if as you don't appear to have recieved a written copy of your contract (As a legal guy that seems like an oversight on your part) then the cooling off period extends to six months. It should make exiting the situation fairly straight forward.

The TIO will generally require you to make a formal complaint to Optus before they get involved. You can write to Optus here and hopefully they'll sort the issue for you without any further problem.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

T.I.O reference No. 2017/12/00866 🙂

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I didn't meant to suggest the TIO won't let you fill in an electronic form and get a case number. Just that their first question (when they do get back to you) is generally have you made an official complaint yet? From your reference number, it would suggest 433 complaints a day to the TIO at the moment. When they get to yours they'll forward the message onto Optus and wait for a response in 10 days. 

It should be fairly straight forward to get a resolution (although I'm not sure the TIO handles cool down period cases). Should just take a little longer to get it resolved this way.

Good luck with the claim

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors