Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor goldcat1
Occasional Contributor

Locked prepaid Optus phone - not locked?!

Tried to unlock my Optus locked prepaid oppo phone bought online via Optus via IMEI and the message I got that this phone is not locked to a network. Is that possible? What does that mean?

Does it mean I got an unlocked phone as a prepaid locked phone? Would it still be original? Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Locked optus phone - not locked?!

Most prepaid devices are locked however I would try another carrier sim and see if it works before you go any further.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I don't have another carriers sim. Is there a website or a way to get more info via the IMEI? I checked it on imei.info and it gave very limited info.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Also, I got an alert to download the update of the Oppo software for some reason. Is it common to get that after opening a new phone? When I downloaded the update and installed it, I was able to change the phone launcher to other launchers like 'Nova' but before the software update, I was unable to do that. Weird, isn't it?

Also, I am unable to add to or customize the status notification bar as I used to in previous oppo phones. Is it something that Oppo A73  has restricted as I know in Android 7.1 noughat you can customize the status bar with wifi, bt icons, etc.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have seen a couple of sites over the years (see link below) that checks lost or stolen devices by IMEI but I haven't seen anything else. I guess it’s possible the phone was never locked in the first place however purchasing a $2 sim pack from the supermarket or post office should tell you immediately if it’s locked.

http://www.lost.amta.org.au/IMEI

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.

I checked the IMEI on the site and it says, this IMEI is unblocked. Wow! Maybe I got one of the unlocked devices. I hope it doesn't mean anything negative?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It’s not uncommon to have an operating system upgrade the minute you turn a new phone on. Unfortunately updates or upgrades can change or add new features that can leave you wishing you had never hit the update button. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. Yes, it alerted me after about a day to upgrade the software..ha! Thanks for giving me peace of mind. Hopefully, other concerns get answered too. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

My prepaid optus phone is unlocked by chance. Yay!

Just forgot whether the box was sealed or not though 😞 How did I forget??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Anouk
New Contributor

Hi there

I bought the same modle but from a Target and I put in my vodafone simcard and it is not conecting to the nework. When I went to the optus website to unlock it form the network lock that was on there, it says that it wasn't locked. But if it's not locked than I should be able to put my own providers simcard in it, right!? So what do I do? optus tells me to go to vodafone and vodafone tells me to go to optus. I'm getting ver frustraded becaus the phone is obviously locked by optus it says that on the box but I relized that after buying it unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors