cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor skysa
New Contributor

Little to no signal with 3g or 4g

A few weeks ago I lost service completely for all day on a Saturday. After getting reception back it has only been around one bar with consistent dropouts and sms that fail to send. This has continued for over two weeks now.
I checked closest towers and services and no work was ir has been scheduled.

I thought it might have been my phone and or operating software, however my husband is with optus and a different phone and is having the same problems.

What is happening? Is it a way to force us to 5g?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Little to no signal with 3g or 4g

Hi skysa,

What suburb/postcode are you located in?

Is it only happening in that one location or everywhere you go with the phone?

It wouldn't be 5G related, there is a pretty high probability you're not in a 5G area yet.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor skysa
New Contributor

My postcode is 2750, however it seems to be the case all the time anywhere I travel around the sydney area.

My husband is in Qld at the moment and still having the same problems.
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Have you tried restarting the phone itself and resetting the network settings?

It is strange however if there was a signal issue across Sydney and interstate we'd definitely have far more complaints.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

@skysa what do you and your husband have? Any recently firmware update, eg IOS 13?  See if turning the phone off and back on would resolve the issue as per @Ray_YC  suggestion. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor skysa
New Contributor

When the issue first started and I lost total signal all day, I had not updated my iPhone as yet to OS13 every person that I spoke to in my local area at the time was having trouble with Optus service. Including my Optus work phone that was out of service too.

Service returned later that day and I have had poor service ever since never more then two bars at most.
I upgraded to latest software and did all the hard and soft resets. ( my sim is less then 12 months old) And nothing seems to be working.

I also thought about the statement that one would think with such bad signals all over sydney with my phone there should be more complaints? When I lost total signal I was so angry and wanted to complain however I was stuck at work and had no signal. So how does one complain? Or even alert some to an issue?

My husband has an samsung 10, when he told me that his optus service has been crap with dropouts I asked him if he has complained to optus - he stated who does that?
0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

There might be an outage on Saturday and when it is  resolved the affected towers might not be 100%. Sounds like a localise outage as @Ray_YC mentioned, there will be alot of complaint and all over the news if it is a multi states outage. You will be suprice at how quickly people jump up and down if it is such an outage. Being localise, it is strange that your service is still experiencing issues even a different locations.

With the drop out on the Samsung 10, does it only happens after Saturday or has it been always "crap"?

With the iphone, was it getting good signals and issue free prior to Saturday? 

Would you able to try your sim on another phone and try another sim on your phone? 

Have you contacted Technical suport, they are availiable via on line chat if you are having issue with the mobile https://www.optus.com.au/notices/service-chat

Not sure if this is related https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Anyone-at-Woy-Woy-noticed-that-their-mobile-bar...

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor MattBNE
New Contributor

Over the past couple of weeks I have had similar problems in Brisbane, when in the car the phone looses data connectivity and never recovers, need to restart the phone to get it working again.

happens in the same 3 or 4 places every day, on the way to and from work.

Called Optus last night to report this for the second time, first thing they said was it was entirely normal to have to reset the phone multiple times per day, after some push back have suggested I need a new SIM

i suspect that there is something wider at play, but about to head to the Optus store to start with a replacement sim 

Seems weird to me that it always happens in the same places (including on the inner city bypass at Hendra, and Kingsford Smith drive between breakfast creek and Hamilton)

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi MattBNE,

Trying a replacement SIM would be the first troubleshooting step.

If that made no difference, next step would be trying the SIM in another phone in those locations.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors