Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Lied too about a Mia Sphere scam

Anyone else getting charged 9.99 a week by The Mia Sphere scam! Nearly 100 dollars in total? Optus through chat, promised to fix, but I got charged 9.99 again. The number Optus gave me didn’t work. Called Optus and selected call back. Informed 10 minutes, got a call 1 hour later, optus staff member hung up before we spoke. Worried I keep getting this charge and can’t fix it. Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Lied too about a Mia Sphere scam

Try the search box (top right) 

Mia Sphere

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you. Still no luck. Chatted to a lady, but as it stands I am being charged for something I never subscribed too or even knew about. Hopefully Ill get a refund. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Try the search again (Perhaps filter it to posts in the last month or two) There must be hundreds of posts on the topic

Most with follow ups on how best to ensure it won't happen again and how to get your money refunded. You'll also note why Optus stopping future scam amounts won't affect your existing 'subscriptions'. The time delay in noticing the scams (a few months?) means getting refunds for the older ones may not be straight forward (which is why you we're probably asked to contact the scammers directly). Any that are on your current bill can usually be easily reversed on request. 

Note that you're asking Optus for a favour to get them to sort it out for you. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

@Jeditutor, I've been sending out the same communication to a number to a number of customers who've created threads on the exact same topic. 

This one of the most common enquiries that we receive on the forums and the following advice has never failed to yield results: 

We do understand the concern and changes are being made in response to customer feedback. I'd suggest checking out the following threads. 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Optus-Postpaid-and/...

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Home-Wireless/ba-p/...

For the moment, we'd suggest jumping onto live chat → www.optus.com.au/livechat/pmobiYou'd need to ask the consultant to action the following for you.

• Ask that they set your Premium SMS spend limit to $0.00. This prevents any third party provider from charging your Optus account.
  • Ask that they raise a dispute with MIA Sphere Live. We're looking at a contact time-frame of 2-3 working days. Once the refund has been approved, it'll be credited back into your Optus account by the time your next invoice is due to come through.
  • We suggest paying the difference between the content charge and your monthly access fee. You will not be penalised whilst a dispute is in progress. 

If you need us to follow up on your refund, message us back here and we'll gladly help out

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy