cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Leaving OPTUS MObile at end of contract

I have a $50 OPTUS mobile postpaid plan that does not include phone purchase payments, just straight mobile access

My contract finishes on 12/4/20.

I am thinking of moving to BELONG using the TELSTRA network.

Do I have to notify OPTUS that I am leaving or do I just go ahead and do it from 12/4/20 on wards.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Leaving OPTUS MObile at end of contract

When you port your number out (which will be an option when you sign with another carrier) that will automatically close your account.

Depending on data requirements you might also like to check out Boost. Belong only use 93% of the Telstra network. Boost are the only re-seller that provide 100% of the Telstra network. The 6 and 12 month plans are fairly good value.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the Boost. I have always been a ‘set and forget ‘ user on postpaid plans that meander on year after year so I have never known how prepaid works but am warming to the idea. I have checked out BOOSTS 6 month $100 plan which would do nicely with the data rollover. As far as I know, BELONG are fully owned by Telstra as their cheap outlet. So can you please explain what you are referring to regarding the other 7% of the network
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Oh, correction. I see now the $100 6 month plan does NOT have rollover. That’s okay. I currently use between 7 and 12 gb per month but mostly under 10 so I understand now that I could get 5 months for my $100 but that’s better than paying $600/yr to OPTUS.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

JBHIFI also resell Telstra Network plans.
JB as far as I know is the Telstra reseller that has both Full Telstra Coverage and 4GX.
I don't know if JB plans include 5G.
I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ok, so I have taken the plunge only understanding 95% of how this works. I have paid $150 for a BOOST 12 month 120gb plan (80gb + 40gb bonus ).
So thank you for the advice which I have blindly followed but do see the merit in what you say.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sorry. Doing a working bee at the scouts hall (on the plus side I finally got to use my chainsaw - not often needed in Brunswick)

Anyway I can see you working through the process. I to have been a long time post paid until recently. But the pre plans are much better than they were now and have the bonus of not stinging you $10 just because you use over your limit.

Yes its not rollover but as you get access to all the data upfront it sort of is. You're free to use 20Gb one month and 5Gb another. Just keep an eye on it. At $12.50 a month the plan you chose is great value.

On the 7% thing, Telstra have what is called their 'wholesale' network. Looking it up again the difference might not be as much as 7% now. It may also have limited application in cities. Anyway you can read a bit about it here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again. I checked out your link.
I’m comfortable with the choice I made with Boost. I am saving approx $450 per year.
I live in Romsey and whilst I have good Optus access, I know it fades when I travel a little further out inland and I know a Telstra connection remains strong. My adsl speeds here were around 1.9Mbps so have been using Optus mobile as a hotspot for my computer getting speeds from 10 to 16Mbps. With a bit of luck I may get better with Telstra.
Hopefully there is no technicality I have missed that prevents this new Boost prepaid from being used as a hotspot.
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good Luck. No there's no limit on hot spotting.
Top Contributors