cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Leasing from Optus - Good working order

Your mobile phone or tablet needs to be in good working order when it's returned. This means the phone is fully functional - that is, it makes/receives calls/texts, connects to the internet and is not physically damaged, except for normal wear and tear as reasonably determined by us. 

Select either mobile or tablet to find out how we determine if your device is in good working order:

Mobile 1.png  Mobile
  1. Can power on and off
  2. Has a fully functional touchscreen and battery
  3. Is not physically damaged i.e. liquid damage, cracked, discoloured or bleeding screen (LCD) or casing & no missing buttons or SIM tray
  4. Does not have any missing, disassembled, customised or non-genuine parts
  5. Does not have any severe scratches (normal wear and tear such as light marks and scratches are okay)
  6. Locking features are disabled i.e. Find my iPhone or Face ID
  7. Is not IMEI blocked i.e. blocked due to being lost or stolen
  8. Is the phone you leased from us under the mobile equipment lease plan

What is good working order - Mobile 2.png

Make sure to back up your data and delete your personal/confidential information before sending your tablet away.

We'll also need you to:

• Perform a factory reset and remove the SIM card and any memory cards. Also, disable all locking features or you may be charged. If you're not sure how, search for your mobile device using our Device Guides

• Provide all documentation requested by us to help make sure the phone you're returning is the same phone we sold you. Keep in mind, you can find your IMEI number  listed on the contract you received upon signing up. If you've replaced your handset since signing up i.e. through insurance or a warranty claim, the new IMEI is listed on the repair/replacement receipt
Tablet icon.png  Tablets
  1. Can power on and off
  2. Has a fully functional touchscreen and battery
  3. Is not physically damaged i.e. liquid damage, cracked, discoloured or bleeding screen (LCD) or casing & no missing buttons or SIM tray
  4. Does not have any missing, disassembled, customised or non-genuine parts
  5. Does not have any severe scratches (normal wear and tear such as light marks and scratches are okay)
  6. Locking features are disabled i.e. Find my iPhone or Face ID
  7. Is not IMEI blocked i.e. blocked due to being lost or stolen
  8. Is the tablet you leased from us under the mobile equipment lease plan

tablet - good working order.png

Make sure to back up your data and delete your personal/confidential information before sending your phone away.

We'll also need you to:

• Perform a factory reset and remove the SIM card and any memory cards. Also, you'll need to disable all locking features or you may be charged. If you're not sure how, search for your tablet using our Device Guides

• Provide all documentation requested by us to help make sure the phone you're returning is the same tablet we sold you. Keep in mind, you can find your IMEI number listed on the contract you received upon signing up. If you've replaced your tab;et since signing up i.e. through insurance or a warranty claim, the new IMEI is listed on the repair/replacement receipt

I'm still unsure

That's okay! Head into your nearest Optus store or message us via the My Optus app and we'll gladly help out. 

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Leasing from Optus - Good working order

IMG_4075.jpgHi there

I called into an Optus Store today as the lease has expired on my iPhone 8. The phone is not in good working order according to the store person and I was asked to pay $229 to return the phone or $290 to buy it outright. I abandoned the two iPhone 11s on 36 month plans I was about to buy and left in frustration. I didn't even notice the "damage" until the phone was taken out of its case. It's not part of the touch screen area.

I'm OK if the phone is not in good working order, but when I asked for options I was simply told I had to pay.

Can I clarify this please? I see options on the website for paying off the phone as part of a new plan, but that was not offered to me.

Thanks, Robin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Robin, it's not mentioned in the FAQs here: Removal of Leasing Plans however if you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible and let you know what your available options are.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Ray.

I tried that and was told to go back to the store. The agent stopped chatting with me after a while. Not really interested in doing that again, so I'll just pay for the phone when I see the invoice for it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That's not great, once you receive the bill with the charge on there you can always contact Optus to request a payment plan if needed. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Ray. We’re good.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

What do you charge if the screen needs to be replaced because of scratches.

I have an iPhone XS.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @architxt,

We'd recommend dropping off the device at your nearest Optus Retail store to be sent away for assessment. Once the device is assessed, you will receive further details about charges to replace the screen. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I went in a few months ago, as I was eligible to upgrade but have decided to wait for the new release in the next few months. When I spoke in store to the customer service assistant she stated that whilst the rear screen of my iPhone XR is smashed, due to the fact the phone is still fully operable and is/was insured at the time of damage that when it comes to upgrading I can just pay the insurance excess as well as the early upgrade fee instead of having to send it away, wait for it to be returned and then hand it in anyway to upgrade? Is that correct? My front screen is is pretty well immaculate but my back screen is smashed (which is odd considering it’s always been in a heavy duty case).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for  this!

0 Kudos