cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Lease

I’ve always paid a plan and owned my mobile at the end of the plan. Have had this ongoing for the last 3 2-year plans. Except now I received a message saying I either need to purchase my phone or return the phone. I thought I was paying off my phone for the last two years? What is this lease bull****?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Lease

And what is the name of the plan you are on? (Check your account/optus app)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

My plan flex.
No. Haven’t had a response.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

With the "Flex" indicating that its a lease plan.
The CIS should outline the requirements with this.

Lease plans are no longer sold to consumers as of July last year so will still have people finishing them for another year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

How do I cancel my plan at the end of the contract and keep the phone?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You have to contact Optus directly - either via the Messaging function in the app, via Optus on Twitter/Facebook or call (prob best not to call due to call queues).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The phone payout will depend on the exact model you have, but expect it to be in the hundreds of dollars.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Kait,

The Optus leasing scandal ended last year as mentioned but people are still getting hit as plans run out. Last year Optus abruptly cancelled the leasing scheme amid 'concerns' that they may have mislead customers into entering them. That and that they were presented as better than own your own phone plans (which they most certainly were'nt)

Optus dealt with this before the regulator stepped in and has implemented two options:

1) Return the phone (in good condition) and leave (or start a new plan but one that has only keep your phone at the end)
2) Buy the phone (Depending on the phone its probably around $500 or so -Optus will tell you)

I would suggest given your obvious confusion that you play hardball with them. There have been several posts from customers that basically refused to accept that they were not paying off the phone and would get it at the end as usual. They get offered a few stages of deals before Optus has agreed and let them walk away with the phone. My suspicion is that they've been told to do this but only if the customer actually insists. (Its just a suspicion)

So at this stage I would say if you've got the time see how saying 'I was mislead/tricked' plays. It might even need a TIO complaint. Depends how far you want to try. You can always just accept their deal any time if you just want to be done with it.

Good Luck
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Seeing as returning the device or "buying" it from Optus are the STANDARD methods of ending the contract its hardly hardball.

The whole leasing part was clearly explained in the CIS that are provided with each service, if people neglect to read what they sign up for I wonder what else they have got themselves into.

Hard to say you were "tricked or misled" when the documentation was provided, I fail to see why people hard on like it was a scam when it was well documented in the CIS.

Perhaps they should have had big flashing light banners on the page when they were offered?
People saw a cheap deal, clicked away and did not read the documentation, while others did read and selected the standard higher monthly payments to keep the device.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Have to agree with @Paddylee , unless @Kait_landhands was mislead by a salesperson I don't see how it was all/largely Optus' fault.

Just looking at some old Optus images, it hardly seems like they were trying to hide the non-ownership fact.

2.png

---------------

3.png

---------------

1.png