cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Lease plan

I was stupid enough to sign up for this ridiculously plan (by accident) and soon enough my plan finishes. I no longer would like to continue with Optus once this plan ends. What then will happen to the phone and contract as I have no plans to renew. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Lease plan

Hi @Seamuspeter ,

Assuming no significant damage to the phone then you just send the phone back (in store or via satchel). Optus will assess it - Minor damage is ~$250, Major Damage is ~$500 and not working will require you to buy the phone at a fair price (determined by Optus).

You also have the opportunity to buy the phone if you want just ask Optus to provide a price.

You can exit the contract without penalty at 24 months. Hand back the phone then and notify Optus you're leaving as they'll automatically keep billing you for another few months if you don't. 

Peter Gillespie

PS Note that renewing will place you on essentially the same plan again (24 month contract with the option to upgrade your phone every 12-24 months for $149). The only difference is the Optus plans are now pricier (and of course you get to keep the phone after 24 months without an upgrade)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

So you’re telling me after my 24 month plan expires I would have paid close to $2800, and I don’t get to keep the phone unless I pay even more money??

how is this even legal 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Seamuspeter ,

Yeah, that's the sort of confusion that I'm thinking Optus are now wanting to shut down. Even worse is that if you lost your phone you would have to buy a new replacement to give back to Optus after 24 months (so keep it safe). 

Unfortunately it is a deal you signed up to. You might find your best option now is to take the free upgrade to a new phone (if you are past 12 months with this one). That contract still has options to upgrade the handset each 12-24 months but after 24 months you would own that phone outright. The only downside IMO is the Optus pricing has gone up (plus you no longer get the $10 per month discount) 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos