Searching...

Mobile

Accepted Solution

Lease plan - meant to own the phone

[ Edited ]
mickmcmahon6730

I’ve been on an Optus lease plan with iPhone XR 64gb for $69 a month for 2 months. Just wondering what would be cancellation fee for this plan I originally signed up on this plan by mistake, totally my fault as I meant to go on the own the phone plan. Just trying to work out what it would cost to pay out contract.

Highlighted

Re: Lease plan

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Have you thought of speaking with support and telling them you made a mistake by leasing the phone and you actually wanted to own it? I doubt you would be the first person to make that mistake. Cancellation charges can be found on the CIS that belongs to your plan.

https://www.optus.com.au/opfiles/Shop/All/cis/CIS%20Docs/CIS_My_Plan_Flex_and_Leased_phone_0818_O.PD...

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Cancellation fees for leasing plans are generally very high and you have to give the phone back etc. Cost wise IMO you're best bet is waiting until 12 months are up and then returning the phone at that stage.  

Bad Luck on hitting the lease option. I'd say it was an accident but Optus doesn't help having recently switched the lease plan as the default signup option. 

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
mickmcmahon6730

I just got the most helpful rep from Optus.He got approval to change my plan from the 69 dollar lease plan to the normal 69  dollar plan where I own phone.Good news.No lease plan termination fees.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Wow Smiley Surprised.

Make sure you tick @Yeldarb as solving the issue. Smiley Happy

I would still double check you are on a normal plan next bill as staff can sometimes promise things that don't actually happen down the track. Presumably your MYACCOUNT will soon (now?) show a different plan type.

I'm still pretty amazed that was even possible. For one thing the only real benefit of a lease plan is you save $10-$20 off the monthly fee of a normal plan. Here Optus have not only forgone the $500+ the phone would be worth to them but also given you the $240+ discount that comes with the lease. Have they reduced the data amount? And no termination fees?

I really hope its true but I'm tending to put it in the 'too dood to be true' basket myself. Do let us know if it sticks.

Peter Gillespie

mickmcmahon6730

Was changed to the $69 promo plus plan,with 100gb of data but now with a $15.00 handset fee.He contacted the backend team after receiving plan change approval and I was informed new plan would be done within 3-5 working days.Have all the chat notes and was told only fee was the new handset fee

mickmcmahon6730

Just received an order number for plan change from lease plan to the normal own phone plan.Confirmed the only extra charge now will be 15.00 device fee,but still 100gb data.

Yeldarb

You never know till you ask Mick and I did suspect that Optus would do that change for you. Enjoy Smiley Happy

mickmcmahon6730

the chat rep had to obtain approval for the change from somebody,but the change has been processed and is now with the backend team who advised about 3 business days to change over plan.Was advised only difference would be a $15.00 device charge on the new plan but data 100gb remains same.Have all chat transcripts in case any issues but pretty confident all good.Thanks for the advice.

Solution

Yeldarb

Cheers!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
131 Kudos
127 Kudos
99 Kudos
86 Kudos
56 Kudos