Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
mickmcmahon6730
Contributor
Contributor

Lease contract

Please people read contracts carefully.Im a good example why people should read contracts carefully.Recently signed up for what I thought was a great deal the IPhone XR $69 100gb plan.I wasn’t aware that the Optus page defaults to lease plans now when you buy a phone and I just realised a few days later it’s a lease plan.That will teach me a good lesson to wear my glasses.So now I’m stuck with a phone I’ll never own.I don’t blame Optus for this,This is my own fault and something I just have to cop.So please,READ CONTRACTS CAREFULLY AND KNOW WHAT YOUR BUYING

0 Kudos
2 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Lease contract

Thanks @mickmcmahon6730,

I agree a lot of people don't seem to appreciate that they are signing up to quite a financial commitment when it comes to buying mobile phones. IMO there really should be a two stage process where an offer is made / accepted and then you are provided with a CIS and an even shorter summary of the main points of the contract. Instead a careless click and you can be obligated to pay thousands. Hadn't noticed the default to leasing screens myself - sneaky.

Its not all bad news though. Your lease plan does save you $180 a year off the usual cost. I tried juggling the early retun numbers (finish after 12 months and pay "fair market value" for the the phone) but any way you slice it leasing is indeed very bad value at Optus. Make sure you've got the phone covered with some insurance.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
mickmcmahon6730
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Lease contract

I don’t mind a 24 month contract at all,Optus are quite good where we are,next time I will make sure i do press the buy phone option lol.

I always put our mobile phones under our house contents insurance,so all good there 🙂 

0 Kudos