cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor HELPLESS56
Occasional Contributor

Late Payment Fees

The reason i ask for a payment extension is finanicial difficulties but i always make the payment on time now i have been charged $15 for making a payment after the Original Due Date which i refuse to pay and just now when i was on the phone to customer service i asked who i could contact about financial difficulties and this late fee and i was told i was talking to the right person .Obviously that conversation went nowhere and that is why i am here i have a payment due in 2 days but now OPTUS HAVE Threatened TO RESTRICT MY SERVICE  unless i pay their EXTORTION FEE i don't see any point in making a payment as i have been a customer for about 5 years now i have Fetch and Internet which brings my Optus accounts over $210 pcm i think OPTUS make enough out of this Peensioner without trying to BLEED him DRY with their FEES

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Late Payment Fees

It does seem like a kick in the guts when you are struggling to pay a bill only to then get hit with additional fess however that is the system that most big companies employ these days. Unfortunately the payment extension system is not a waiver for late payment fees.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/financial-hardship-assistance-policy?requestType=NormalR...

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

As you said a Payment Extension and as long as you pay in that time frame then logically you are not making a late payment why offer more time to pay as a punishment instead of a courtesy

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The payment extension is not meant as a waiver for late payment fees as you are still making your payment late. The payment extension stops further action happening on your account such as restrictions, suspension or termination. I don’t agree with it however that is the way they operate.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

If i need a few extra days to pay my account and then i pay accordingly how can Optus justify charging a fee that is obviously going to stretch my finances it doesn't make sense and now they come with STANDOVER TACTICS pay up or we restrict your access and my answer to that is i won't pay anything on any of my accounts and you can cancel them all because i won't be BULLIED when there is an obvious logical outcome Don't charge me a late fee because i contacted you to let you know my payment would be a few days late and i payed as i agreed and also over the 5 years i have been a custmer i have kept up with payments on my accounts.Late Payment Fees are a RORT and a RIP OFF used by Companies to EXTORT MONEY from customers and should be investigated by the Government and the laws should be changed so that people like myself who need a bit of extra time to make a payment and are HONEST about it should not be PENALISED because we keep our word and make our payments as agreed  

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think the computer that generates the late payment fee would take your loyalty or excellent payment record into account. I understand how you feel and can only suggest you make an official complaint to Optus. Information on how to do that can be found on the link below.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/complaints-compliments?requestType=NormalRequest&id=1409...

0 Kudos
New Contributor OhYeah
New Contributor

Hey,

Don't forget that if your account is $50.00 then the late payment fee represents a 30% penalty. It's not an interest payment or anything like that, as that would cause such a disproportionate fee to be usury under Oz law. It's a sneaky little loophole that allows for a disproportionate penalty much the same as a loan shark charging unreasonable interest, but in our case without the sort of penalty they would get if they were caught. It's claimed that the 'fee' is to cover the 'real' cost of late accounts. Rhubarb. If they are losing that kind of money on late accounts, then it would be the same for any business, monolithic or small. That sort of financial blockage would kill most businesses, yet small business activity is on the increase. So, arguing that it costs more than $15 to be paid less than a week late is, as I say, rhubarb (and other more colourful terms). Only a business giant with no real need of any individual customer can afford to treat all its customers with such contempt and expect to get away with it. Yes, I got a late fee bill too, for less than 48 hours over. The fee constitutes over 30% of my monthly contract. What planet did Optus fly in from is all I can say.

New Contributor aneurism
New Contributor

I will be looking for an alternative provider that doesn't rip you off  20-30% of your monthly fee for ~10 day late payment..and voting with my feet accordingly. I feel that Optus contribute to creating this scenario by creating an unwieldly payment system which they haven't improved in years..

The payment separated payment system for cable users is a mess..and the fact you still have to fill out paper forms in this day an age is a disgrace. Optus would rather have you leave for a competitor than act in a manner to keep your service. If you are out of contract or coming out of contract, instead of complaining, just leave..That is the only thing they understand.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @aneurism, we'd be sorry to see you go. We're always willing to assess each customers individual situation. If the customer has expressed concerns over not being able to make payment on time, and it hasn't been noted as a regular occurrence, we can definitely go ahead and waive the late payment fee. All account charges are outlined in the critical information summary of your plan you'd received at point of sale.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos