Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Late Payment Fee WTH Optus

Optus, you have to be kidding !

I have been an Optus customer for way more than 10 years, at the moment, I give Optus $165 per month, yes $165, and some years it has been more than that, I usually pay my bills on time, but last month, I was unwell and I missed the due by date payment for my mobile phones, I got a reminder by SMS and paid the bill as soon as I got it, that was 4 days late and Optus charged me $15 on my latest bill.

What about I start to bill you Optus for all the hours I have spent on the phone and on chat because of the numerous times you stuffed up my bills or stuffed up my orders ?

What about if I billed you Optus for all the technical problems I had with my internet and home phone that took you months to fix ?

What about if I billed you Optus every time I have to watch movies in SD or not at all in the evening because the NBN speed slows down so much ?

What about if I billed you Optus for all the days I have been waiting for your customer service and technicians to call me back as they promised and never did ?

What about if I billed you Optus for all the wrong information I have been given over the years by some of your customer service employees and technicians.

What about if I billed you Optus for hours upon hours waiting on the phone listening to that excruciating same music, to finally speak to someone and get "disconnected" as soon as I got to talk to a person, probably because it was the end of their shift or they couldn't be bothered ?

So, what about it Optus ? How much do you think this is worth ? A lot more than $15 I think !

13 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Late Payment Fee WTH Optus

Yes agree it certainly is a one way street with Optus. Having said that I am fairly certain they would reverse that charge if you had a word with billing.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

A billing system should be smart enough to automatically remove a late fee once in a blue moon. I'd say Optus systems aren't but its also possible given Optus' general approach to customers (that its is their job to avoid traps like late fees, billing fees, excess data fees, premium sms fess, etc.) that its presumably a deliberate decision to leave the fee in place.

As mentioned though, they will normally reverse the fee on request if its a one off. You just have to get through to someone first 🐵

As for your other issues, I'd suggest that now you are on the NBN it might be time to try other RSPs and see what service they can offer?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I will. but not looking forward to spending x amount of time waiting and probably having to call more than once.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The problem is that I get a few discounts with Optus having internet and mobile with them, discount on internet because I have mobile plan and discount on mobile plans because I have internet, plus Fetch with all packages for free, unlimited download, Netflix and Spotify not counted on my data allowance on mobile, free calls to overseas ... Apart from the speed at night sometimes, it's not that bad for me..... except for their customer service, billing system and technicians.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That sounds like a pretty good setup (Particularly Fetch all packages for free). Optus seem to have made the deliberate move to push content and discounts to make up for the occasional rough patch in service and performance and unexpected fees.

Bundling is a classic strategy these days to make it hard to cleave off one under performing element without disturbing the rest. Out of interest about how much data would you use on your mobiles each month these days? What Optus mobile plan are you on for $?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Caledoz,

I may be wrong but I haven't heard of a late payment fee been applied for an account paid 4 days late. Perhaps you meant you paid the overdue bill when the SMS reminder came through? Direct Debit is an option you may be interested in to avoid this happening in future.

Anyway calling up is not your only option to requesting that the fee be waived. Should hopefully be straight forward for the agent based on your tenure and if you've never had one credited before. If you're not satisfied with the response you can always request to speak to the Manager.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Ray_YC  I don't understand what you are saying ? My bill was due to be paid on the 24th of Jan (a Friday), and I missed that payment, as I wrote in my post, I got a reminder SMS on the 28th of Jan (the following Tuesday) and I paid my bill that same day, that's 4 days after the bill was due.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@petergdownload I don't usually use much data on my mobiles as I am often at home and I use Wifi, I have a $30 Sim plan with 3GB and a $40 plan with phone with 15GB + a bonus 3GB that came with one of the plans, total 21GB combined and we probably use 5GB max each month.

Yes I know once they get you with bundling, it's hard to get out of it, but to be honest, I am happy with my plans and perks, also got a free Fetch mini for 18mths lately to use with my mighty, so not complaining about that.

It's just that, 4 days late for a bill out of probably 15 years of being a pay on time customer and I get charged, not happy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"I am happy with my plans and perks"

I did not get that impression from your first post 🐵

Its an automated system (late fee) so I wouldn't take it personally. If I didn't say so before I agree that Optus should probably program in say a weeks grace before issuing fines. However Optus tends to grab revenue (at the expense of the customer experience) where it can so for now I suppose at least they'll recognise your long standing custom if you ask for a refund.

Hopefully a few more posts like yours might prompt them to change their approach.

0 Kudos