Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just wondering why I’m receiving nuisance calls when I’m in the DO NOT CALL REGISTER?"

Hi Optus, just wondering why I’m receiving nuisance calls when I’m on the “DO NOT CALL REGISTER?"

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Just wondering why I’m receiving nuisance calls when I’m in the DO NOT CALL REGISTER?"

Hi @Jvdb ,

Please note that Optus has no control over the do not call register. It also only has legal force within Australia. Coupled with this is the many groups that are exempt (politicians, surveys, charity, etc.) So if you are getting unwanted calls you'll need to follow this up with the DCR (if they identify themselves and are Oz based)

That said, you might be receiving unwanted calls from Optus? Another exemption from the DCR is when you have a formal relationship with a company in question. You can read how to manage communications with Optus here

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Just wondering why I’m receiving nuisance calls when I’m in the DO NOT CALL REGISTER?"

There is also a expiry date on the do not call register. Worth check the status of your listing. If you are active then dob the company who is calling in!

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’ve checked my DNCR details and they are all up to date. The calls aren’t from a charity etc so aren’t under any exemptions. I just can’t understand why optus is facilitating the calls by transferring them through to my number?

Ive now received over 8 calls and I’m getting very tired of them given that I can’t seem to be able to block their number. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The response was of no help. Sorry no Kudos 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Unfortunately, there are cowboys out there. My suggestion is to

1.find out what company the caller represent,

2. Tell the caller that you are on the dncr and will call the authority to report such a breach. 

3. Contact the company as some are contracted out to third party tele marketing businesses OS. 

4. Report to the donot call register and make a complaint.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok, So not calls by Optus, just calls from someone. 

FWIW Optus job is to facilitate calls. Period. The telecommunication industry is global in nature and OPtus doesn't get to set all the rules. So if a number calls you then your phone will ring. Scammers change their numbers every few minutes so 'blocking' them is not an option.

If you wish to take control then simply do not answer any call from an unknown number or where the number is not provided. You'll find prank calls drop off a lot faster when you dont answer them. Any important call will either be known or will try contact you via another method if you don't answer.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos