Searching...

Mobile

Just switched, no 4G? This might fix it.

Jelly0451

Hey all, recent (as in yesterday) Virgin Mobile convert here, swept in from the cold. 

I got my SIM activated through Webchat (proof that we are actually living in the future right now) but didn't get the text message through to change all the settings for mobile data and MMS and the like. My phone was showing the 4g symbols, but nothing was loading and the MyOptus app kept telling me that I had insufficient network permissions something something. MMS, SMS, phonecalls and My Account were all up and running, there was just this internet issue.

Not wanting to hassle the super-helpful and friendly chat team again, I decided to roll up my sleeves and change the APN settings manually aaaaaaaaand IT WORKED!

For those in a similar situation, I'll detail the solution below:

Head into your phone's Settings menu, then under the "connections" or similar there should be an option for "Mobile Networks." That's where we need to be.

Then, in this section, you should have a subheading saying "Network Operators" and with a bit of luck it will say that "YES OPTUS" is operating the network that your phone is operating. If not, you have bigger issues and I'd suggest getting in contact with Optus directly or performing an exorcism on your phone to drive out whatever vodafone voodoo or telstra witchcraft is plagueing your device.

Next we want to hit up the "Access Point Names" or "APN" subsection. From here on out, Aladdin's Cave rules apply- we only want to change some exact settings, don't touch anything else or your phone might catch fire. Not really, but proxy settings can get messy.

Now, if your phone is anything like mine (bless it) it will have tried its best, and is showing that it has selected a default Optus WAP setting. Naww. What we need to do is point it in the right direction by making the changes that the "new settings, who dis?" message normally applies to your phone. 

So you should have an option to "ADD" or "add NEW" and then it brings up a bajillion settings options. Thankfully we only need to set a few. Also, we are ADDING A NEW ONE so that you still have the default settings if something catches fire. Don't edit existing ones. Below are the changes you need to make to bring mobile internet back into your love life.

1. Under "Name" and "APN" type "yesinternet" with no """""""""""" and all lowercase and all one word.

2. Head down the "MCC" Option. Type "505" again with no """"""""""""". That is numbers five zero five. You may find it pre-filled with 505. Handy! Don't touch it if it did.

3. Next is the "MNC" option and we need to type "02" with no """""""""". That's numbers zero two. Again it might have pre-filled. Neat! Don't touch it if it did.

4. Now we need to change "Authentication Type" to "PAP." It's a multiple choice question, no need to even check spelling.

5. Lastly we have "APN Type." Most of the time leaving it blank or default will work. If not, write in "internet" in lowercase with no """""""" to troubleshoot.

So we should have:

Name: yesinternet

APN: yesinternet

MCC: 505

MNC: 02

Authentication Type: PAP

APN TYPE: Default or internet

Look right? Terrific. Let's save and head back out. You should see your brand shiny new "yesinternet" option there. Go ahead and select it. Then proceed to drumroll and turn on mobile data if it wasn't already on (and disable wi-fi so we can see if it worked.) Head to Google or your Optus My Account page and see if it loads. If it does....... Congratulations! You are online and can start trying to use the crazy-big data allowances Optus provides.

If not, don't panic. Let's head back into the APN menu, edit yesinternet and change APN Type to internet. 

If that still doesn't do it, that's a dang old shame, we tried, but the issue seems to be something else. Double-check the settings and give Optus a tingle or hit them up for a hot chat sesh. Heck, maybe a tech team person will comment further troubleshooting solutions below? Who knows?

Hope this helps more people than it hinders.

Thanks all,

Jelly.

Re: Just switched, no 4G? This might fix it.

Davelew

Hi @Jelly0451

Great advice, but I would suggest first on an Android phone go to the APN settings and click the hamburger top right. Now click reset to default. This will often reset the APN to the correct settings.

If that doesn't work then manually change the settings.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Thanks for such a humorous and informative post @Jelly0451

Only three more months and you might have to do a 5G update.

Peter Gillespie

Davelew

You've got to buy a new phone first for 5g @petergdownload and I know from your previous posts you don't like to do that.   I heard you only changed your phone last year when 2g was discontinued.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

@Davelew

I think you've got me confused with someone else Dave. Smiley Happy I've had most versions of Google Phones since the Nexus 5. I do definitely think the bleeding edge is a waste of money in the mobile industry, so currently only on a Pixel 1.

Funnily enough I did have one of the first 2G phones in Australia as I was part of the pre release trials. 

Peter Gillespie

Davelew

@petergdownload

Not really confused, just thought I would get a reaction.

I just can't believe the price of the so called flagship phones. if you just want a phone to make phone calls, the occasional photo, messaging and access to the internet why spend more on a phone than a good quality laptop.

Must be getting miserly in my old age.

petergdownload

Agree. A product of the good times we're in. How Apple have managed to convince so many to pay so much every 1.4 years for such incrementally small improvements is indeed amazing. Google has really only jumped on their trail blazing bandwagon more recently.

I have made a prediction though. I think Apple is about to hit some very hard times. They've recently stopped publishing iPhone sales numbers. They haven't been able to come up with anything other than gimmmicks for several models now. The phone 2-3 generations back is just as capable as the current models. The reason to upgrade is more tennuous than ever. Throw in the impending Trump Tax and we might have seen the "peak phone" point.

But I've been wrong (many times) before Smiley Happy

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
75 Kudos
72 Kudos
68 Kudos
43 Kudos