Searching...

Mobile

Jamster scam

MikiM

I too  have just been caught out by Jamster :$ 55.05 for Jan, and I'm wondering how much for Feb 2018, when I didn't sign up to any services.  

Optus, given the complaints on this forum suggest there's many victims, why don't you automatically set content/premium service limits to zero, in the absence of express authorisation of an Optus customer?   Or at least inquire with customers when they sign up whether they'd like the limit set to zero.

If the option had been put to me I would have been protected, and not wasting my Saturday night anxious that I've lost at a minimum $55.05  becuase Optus didn't alert me to an obvious protection at the outset when they were aware of a dodgy 3rd party provider.   

Re: Jamster scam

Paddylee

As at the end of January this year Optus put a stop to all new "subscriptions" like these.

If you have an existing subscription it needs to be stopped or else it will continue - opt out info shoudl be on the bill and is meant to be sent to you via sms when you "sign up"

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Ron66

Hi Mikim,

I have the same issue, in my case it is the MIA /OPTUS scam. I'm paying my monthly subscription charge and none of the third party charges and I'm not chasing these clowns up. This is theft pure and simple and Optus is directly complicit in it by acting as the bagman for the crooks. Optus know what the scam is and still choose to be part of it to make as much money as possible. I'm bound for the TIO and ACCC......Cheers Ron Grant

MikiM

I saw their memo, saying the new protections were kicking in after 31 Jan.  Seems I was one of the last to be caught, from 1 Jan to 31 Jan!  Optus place a dispute with Jamster and they confirmed today that Jamster would be processing a refund that should reach my account by 1 March.  Relieved! 

MikiM

Hi there,   I was fortunate that Optus acted promptly and it's been approved for refund.   I don't think the ACCC will intervene given competing claims on their investigative capacity and there's a cost to lodge a complaint with the TIO.  If Optus didn't lodge a dispute with the 3rd party provider on your behalf  (and secure you a refund)  I'd be expressing my complaint  to them in terms of s18 Australian Consumer Law (prohibition against misleading or deceptive conduct, the old s52 of the Trade Practices Act),  and the fact that Optus is 'knowingly concerned' in the breach (s75B ACL).  That section  deals with ancillary liability for breaches by the party other than the main contravenes.  Clearly Optus knew they're a transgressor, and they enabled the wrongdoing for too long.   This post by Optus seems tacit acknowledgment they want to disassociate themselves with these 3rd party providers because they're doing them too much reputational damage:  https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-our-Premium-Services-offering/ba-p/351928    I do hope your matter's resolved in your favour.  

Highlighted

Ron66

Hi MikiM,

thanks for your posts and advice. I have had word back from Optus, yes yes I know, I was shocked to that the crooks have been blocked and they will see about rebilling. Shauna, one of the moderators has been on the ball with this. I'm still not paying any bills until it's sorted to my satisfaction. They have blocked my service which is ok, I've just gone to a pre paid service for the moment. It's bizarre that they send you a no reply email saying they have blocked my service so I can't reply to the email or use the phone to TRY to conatact them. cheers Ron Grant

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
71 Kudos
71 Kudos
57 Kudos
45 Kudos