Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor FarmerMick
New Contributor

Jamster Scam AGAIN

OK, so just having copped the well documented Jamster Scam on one of my employees phones on my last bill (they did send a STOP and that appears to have worked but I am still out the $15 or so), I have reviewed all of the posts on here in order to avoid in the future (as they have no need of premium SMS).  

I found with dismay that as the account holder while I am liable for the costs, I can do nothing to stop them.   Changing the premium content limit to zero must be done on each individual phone (two of which are interstate).  So inn order to ensure the process was simple for my other phones, I attempted to make the change on my own phone (the primary service) as per the frequently quoted FAQ .  USELESS.  First I logged into my account and went to the primary serivce, settings, and adjust content spend.  It did not redirect me to the primary account, but to the account of the SIM I use for my network.  I then tried the same (on the very small mobile screen) using the phone (with Wifi off) and it sent me to a Zoo page saying this site was only for Pre-Paid.  I then tethered a laptop to the phone and tried again.  It got me to the service level login with the correct account, and although I could see my limit (the default $200) there was no-where to change it (and no sight anywhere of the pretty little slider shown in the FAQ).  Tried it with another browser (Chrome as many sites seem to have ceased support for Safari despite so many Apple users) to no avail.

Is there actually any REAL method for me to reduce my total exposure to these scams of $600pm (over three phones) or do I just have to live with it and pay these fraudsters?  Don't try telling me to call Optus, as from past experience they either don't answer (within my hour limit) or don't help (if it's not in the script they have no idea).  I normally have to drive the 3 hrs return to the nearest Optus store for any assistance I need that I can't do via the normal My Account.

Any help would be appreciated as I have now lost 3 hrs already on this with no apparent means of resolution.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jamster Scam AGAIN

Yes there seems to be a problem for many people with the slider that reduces the spend to zero. I’m not sure if it’s a site design issue or a browser related problem however if you contact support on the live chat link below they should be able to do it for you. I understand the frustration of having to fix this issue multiple times however until Optus decides to disable these premium services by default the problems will just keep on happening. You would think in this day of litigation for just about everything Optus would be smarter.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

RetiredModerator Miles_R
RetiredModerator

Very sorry to hear that you're having trouble with these Premium SMS charges. I'd be happy to check this out for you on our end to see what's going on. Could you please PM us here with your service number, full name and DOB so that I can investigate this for you?

0 Kudos
New Contributor FarmerMick
New Contributor

OK - so I may well be the only person who reads the Terms and Conditions, but basically you wish me to provide you with my personally identifiable information, via a different website - of which the domain is not owned by Optus (but a data mining and marketing company) , noting the following two clauses:

1. "The site may contain hyperlinks and other pointers to Internet websites operated by third parties. These linked websites are not under the control of Optus and Optus is not responsible for the contents of any linked website or any hyperlink contained in a linked website. Optus provide these hyperlinks to you as a convenience only, and the inclusion of any link does not imply any endorsement of the linked website by Optus or its affiliates. Your link to any such website is entirely at your own risk."

2. "You expressly acknowledge and agree that Optus does not exert control over users of the site (including individuals referred to on the Network as guests and experts) and is not liable either for their opinions or their behaviour, including any information and/or advice and any defamatory statements or offensive conduct."

So by Para 1 Optus will not accept liability if I am being scammed by you (as I would be using a hyperlink to another site) and by Para 2 Optus employees are not users on the this site either (so I assume the moderators are also third party contractors - maybe from Lida?).  In looking at a number of posts I note that no-one appears to post anything after the PM request - perhaps because they no longer have access to their accounts and courtesty of these conditions there is no comeback?  I would like to keep my current contracted services in my name so I guess I will just need to suck up the charges and the poor customer experience.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator PhilC
RetiredModerator

Hi @FarmerMick I'm really sorry about the delayed response, we've been flat out lately! That being said I can assure you we do work for Optus, there are a number of individuals that chose to help on their own accord however we have staff monitoring these pages to offer assistance. When account details are requested to avoid any personal information being displayed in a public place we do request it be sent through via a PM. From this point the conversation will proceed in a PM which is why you may be having trouble finding any threads that continue much further than the request for a PM from one of us. 

We do also offer a live chat service here → http://yesopt.us/chat2us or you can contact our billing team on 133937.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Guilli87
New Contributor

I have just had over $9 of extras credit stolen by Jamster, a guy named Matt has emailed me and told me to call him, the number was completely offline 20 mins ago, now I speak with Matt on the 5 occurrences I called.

Very odd for an international company to have one call centre employee, I never signed up to Jamster and feel so incredibly violated by not only how Matt treated me, he verbally abused me about 10 times, but also that Optus who I trusted to be a decent company have allowed my credit to be thieved by such an obviously wrong scam that not even the police have done anything about.

Why Optus, why did you let this happen to me?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @Guilli87,

Sorry I just want to make sure that we're completely across your enquiry. The consultant you were emailing back and forth with, this was a Jamster employee and not an Optus employee? We can always raise a dispute with the content provider on your behalf. In most instances, we'll hear back from them within 2-3 business days. I'd suggest you jump onto live chat → www.optus.com.au/livechat/pmobi and ask the consultant to action the following:

• Ask that they set your premium SMS spend control limit to $0.00. This prevents any third party provider from charging your Optus account.
  • Ask that they raise a dispute with Jamster, you'll be contacted within the given time frame and refund will be processed as an account credit or cheque refund (which ever you prefer)

If you have any other questions for us, please give us a shout. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors