Searching...

Mobile

Re: JAMSTER SCAM

[ Edited ]
ChocTop

Just got hit with this too.

When I first ported to Optus many mths ago I also got hit with similar charges and set my content to $0. Thought I was safe.

But somehow my acct has gone back to $200 and i'm hit again.

I contacted Optus chat minutes after getting this scam txt and was not given any refund by the rep.

I was told Jamster would call me in 2-3 days and to request a refund through them!? As if a scamster is going to call me back and refund me!

I would like to request a refund on my acct.

Dan_C

Hey @ChocTop, that doesn't right.

Your premium content spend limit is never reset back to the default $200.00 spend limit. Once you've set your spend limit to $0.00, it'll remain as such unless you request otherwise. Had you set your limit to $0.00 for all mobile numbers on the account or just the one? Keep in mind that if you are still receiving SMS's from Jamster and your spend limit is set to $0.00 then there's no way they can actually apply a charge to your Optus account.

You're welcome to send us a private message with your account details. I need your full name, DOB and mobile number.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

ZacFahry67

Hi,

Same thing has happened to me. I did not sign up to jamster and assumed the text message was a scam as they surely could not deduct money from my account. But it looks like I was wrong and I've been charged over $30. It's just crazy that this can happen. I’ve now spent over an hour on my holidays unsubscribing to Jamster, changing my content limit and trying to contact Optus. I noticed that your live chat isn’t working which is very disappointing as I’m waiting on the phone now which will take over 30 mins. I thought I would try this in the meantime. Why is everything so hard? This has all been an unnecessary waste of time and I’m extremely unhappy with your service.

Please refund the money charged by Jamster ASAP.

Thanks.

ChocTop

An update.

I called Optus and queried these Jamster charges, first rep told me Jamster would refund the money once they put in a request to do so, I would get a call in a few days from Jamster. Not happy with that I called back.

Spoke to another rep and requested the charges be refunded or I would be in contact with the TIO.

30mins later Jamseter call me, surprisingly quite professionsal, I politely requested the charges be refunded, they said yes as I had not used their servcies - well derrr scamsters!

Since then another Optus rep has confrimed the funds have been refunded, but I will not know for weeks until I see the next bill.

Hope this helps others. This was all done within a couple hours of the charges/txt's.

domwild

According to the Whirlpool communications forum, these one-click SPAM SMS SCAMS have been going on for the last ten years and cost us millions. I got caught from ORDANNDU GmbH, a German scammer using my number given to them from Telstra and it cost me $20.20, which I got back from Telstra's HQ in Manila by speaking a bit louder and mentioning "T I O".

I will contact Slater & Gordon and Maurice Blackburn for a class action as I believe it is worthwhile for them to unroll the invoices going back ten years as Millions of Dollars were lost and never refunded.

Telstra claims to have stopped this scam this month, Optus will stop the "one-click subscriptions to Premium Services" by January 2018, but I will watch this forum,the Telstra forum and Whirlpool for confirmation.

[ Edited ]
ezd6624

Hi @Aman_B,

I am facing the same Jamster issue as the other people in this thread - is it possible to retreive previous Jamster payments that have been paid?

domwild

Hi,

I doubt these payments to scammers can be retrieved, it would need a class action by Maurice Blackburn or Slater & Gordon. For the tax ofice, the records have to be kept for seven years, so I doubt we can get all of our money back as these scams have been going on for ten years or more. The first complaint to Whirlpool was ten years ago and since then you can read 54 pages of complaints. I am not too sure how many complaints are there per page, but if there are 20, then we are dealing with more than 1,000 complaints at one web site alone.

Highlighted

Dan_C

@ezd6624, @domwild

I've been sending out the same communication to a number to a number of customers who've created threads on the exact same topic. 

This one of the most common enquiries that we receive on the forums and the following advice has never failed to yield results: 

We do understand the concern and changes are being made in response to customer feedback. I'd suggest checking out the following threads. 

(I think some changes need to be made to our search functionality) 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Optus-Postpaid-and/...

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Blog/Changes-to-Third-Party-Content-Charges-for-Home-Wireless/ba-p/...

For the moment, we'd suggest jumping onto live chat → www.optus.com.au/livechat/pmobiYou'd need to ask the consultant to action the following for you.

• Ask that they set your Premium SMS spend limit to $0.00. This prevents any third party provider from charging your Optus account.
  • Ask that they raise a dispute with MIA Sphere Live. We're looking at a contact time-frame of 2-3 working days. Once the refund has been approved, it'll be credited back into your Optus account by the time your next invoice is due to come through.
  • We suggest paying the difference between the content charge and your monthly access fee. You will not be penalised whilst a dispute is in progress. 

If you need us to follow up on your refund, message us back here and we'll gladly help out

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
75 Kudos
71 Kudos
69 Kudos
45 Kudos