cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor LydChoi
New Contributor

Is this a scam?

I just got a text message saying:

*OPTUS MSG* There was a problem processing a recent bill. To avoid termination of this service, please login to My Account: https://yes4opt.us/id/MDQyMzg5MTIzOA=

I've never received any message like this before, and the web link looked suspicious so I didn't click on it. I was going to report this to abuse@optusnet.com.au but before I do that I just wanted to make sure it's a scam. Is it a scam?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Is this a scam?

I would not trust any sms these days (unless its something you request such as the everchanging security pin for MyGov -Medicare, ATO etc) 

Logging directly into the Optus website in your account is the best way to see if you had an issue with bill payment.

I apparently won a UK lottery last week as the SMS said I did, dont think ill get my millions though Smiley Sad

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
New Contributor wender19
New Contributor

Hi LydChoi

I would say that it is.  Unfortunately, I got this text at almost the same time as yourself.   Half-asleep and without my glasses on, I clicked the damn link (not something I'd typically do - I could kick myself!!!) and nothing.   When I put my glasses on and saw the link address, I figured it was of the scammy nature.   I did check my bank to make sure there was no problem on that end (there wasn't).    You were certainly smarter than me this morning!   Smiley Happy     

New Contributor Charsm
New Contributor

I received the same message this morning so I would say it’s a scam! 

New Contributor blh
New Contributor

I got this text too at 9.48 am:

*OPTUS MSG* There was a problem processing a recent bill. To avoid termination of this service, please login to My Account: https://yes4opt.us/id/MDQyMjA4MTA2MQ=

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks Lydchoi for bringing this to our Yes Crowd community's attention.

Good advice from Paddylee.

More information can be found here: Identify hoaxes, phishing and online scams and here: Reporting hoaxes, phishing and online scams

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor max_smart
New Contributor

Just got a phone call advising me my internet will be disconnected.  Followed optiosn to tech support. Was then I was told my Telstra connection will be disconnected. Not been with Terlstra told then then got abuse for calling them out as scammers. Upset the lady (not sure that is accurate).  Made my day 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors