Got my first sting today from some harvest frenzy punk trying to slug me with fees. Found out from reading the forums here that optus allows this to happen quite often with this random subscription bs. We need to make them pay! We should not have to find out this way about some crazy sms limit crap its not even disclosed in the contract!
I got this stupid message too and have been charged. If there is a class action, count me in. If Optus is the one who bills us for the charge then it IS THEIR PROBLEM. If we don't pay the bill or the charge, the Optus is the one who will chase us for the money, so it is an OPTUS problem.
We need enough people to take this to the media, I am sick and tired of Optus getting away with treating its customer like crap and basically stealing money from us. We would not be able to receive these messages unless Optus let them through Optus' network.
Check out the AMCA website. There are laws relating to this. I don't give a crap if it's a couple of dollars, I imagine there are thousands of people out there copping these illegal charges.
Why is there no offical word from Optus. I as well was been charged some stupid fee from something I clicked on. But thought hang on why would my service provider be charging me for something that I had no idea what it was or what I was been charged for. Yes admit I was using a dating ap called grinder when something poped up on my screen and it was impossible to remove this screen unless u touch this part of the screen that apparently instantly subscripts u been ripped off. Thank Optus yes outstanding customers rip off
Makes no difference what you were doing, it is wrong and Optus is assisting scammers. The fact that they think they can charge us something on an invoice/bill that is FROM OPTUS THEMSELVES, yet claim they cannot refund is beyond a joke.
I have done some research and it is not the Telecommunications Ombudsmand who can sort this, but rather the ACMA http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Stay-protected/My-mobile-world/Content-and-services/mobile-premium-se....
If Optus does not provide me a refund and block this garbage then I will be cancelling my account mid contract... oh and Optus I won't be paying any exit or cancellation fees.
Save all your evidence, so many people are getting scammed with this and Optus won't do a thing. The media or Today Tonight need to report on this and expose the Telcos for ripping off its customers.
Thanks. I already submitted complaints to the ACCC and the telecomunications ombusdman and now I have done so to these guys too. From what I've read, this has been happening to a lot of people for a long time now. How the F is this legal? How are both these side shows like harvest frenzy (run by airG?) And Optus getting away with this? Someone lend me a pitchfork already I want blood!
How do you raise the complaint to ACC/AMCA?
Just got stung by Harvest Frenzy. will obviously port to new provider as Optus isn't providing any support to victims (surprise)
1. Log into your Optus account and drop you premium spend to $0 or call them to do this.
2. You can reply 'STOP' to these messages. Don't delete them, save them for any proof needed.
3. Call Optus and report this issues immediately, even if it is unbilled. Make sure you write down/document your conversation and who you spoke to. You will be asking them to refund you and also to block any further messages/content (it is against the law for Optus or any Telco to refuse to do this).
4. Go to www.acma.gov.au . There is a part about complaining about Premium Content messages and reporting them as spam.
5. When your invoice/bill arrives from Optus, call them and dispute the charges if they appear. Again record the conversations. If they refund then good leave it there.
6. If they refuse or make you jump through ridiculous loops telling you it is up to YOU to ring the premium content provider to request a refund, then finish up the conversation (record everything, what they said, who you spoke to, etc). Do not pay the bill yet.
7. Call the Telecommunications Ombudsman (they don't handle complains about premium content, but they do handle issues regarding bills and services, and since Optus is billing you, it is in Ombudsman jurisdiction). This is where all of your documented conversations will be needed. If the Ombudsman instruct you to pay the bill and continue while they are investigating, then do it.
8. If you have any further issues with the premium content also contact the ACCC.
Do not put up with this crap, we are the consumer and we keep Optus in business.
Ok I got a call back from optus today and they assured me no charges had been laid against my account. I had already gone into my account settings and found that evil premium sms setting and took ot down from its default setting of $200 per month to zero.
Optus have also taken it upon themselves to do a check on my account come bill time and call me if they see anything on there. I would clap them but it would be a clap of sarcasm as I pointed out to the representative on the phone after he tried to brush this off with the flippant comment that 'people like having games' - these premium settings where never disclosed to me, or any other customer, it is not specified in our contracts, we dis not sign for this, that premium setting should be the customers choice, not theirs, this is blatent robbery, as the service provider that has this function enabled unbeknownst to the customer, it doesn't matter a damn that the charges come from a third party, Optus is responsible for the occurance. This has been happening to many people for years!
A class action needs to be taken against Optus for this deception and it needs to be made law that premium sms settings must never be set as a defaultbto anything higher than zero dollars and zero cents. This option should strictly be a customers choice only. Every customer should also be made aware of it upon purchase and it needs to be stated clearly and plainly in contracts!
mate, i feel you!
am getting in touch with optus parent company from Singapore, Singtel.
These scum at optus says they dont know the 3rd party providers. But i know just 1 thing, optus gets paid wherther customers
likes it or not.
When you get online help, they pretend to assist in blocking the subscription, but wont refund the stolen money, so its all a scam from optus is the conclusion.
class action= COUNT ME IN!