cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Is it possible to get my old mobile number back?

G'day to everyone here!  I found Yes Crowd is a very helpful forum with a lot of warmhearted experts actively here.

Getting back my old mobile number is too important to me, now I am seeking help.

After being disconnected from a non-Optus carrier for 8 months because of lost SIM card and not using the number for a while, is it possible to get my old mobile number back?

This number with SIM originally I bought from Optus, after nearly two years use, I transferred the number to Vodafone for a lower cost of long expiry when leaving Australia and moved to New Zealand. However, I lost my mobile phone with that number last year and didn't recharge the number after the lost. 

Till now I have to use that old number for some important online ID verification, I just got to know that the number had been disconnected from Vodafone after March 2019, and they said it is impossible to get it back because the number has gone to the original issuer if after 6 months of disconnection.

After a desperate journey, I found here at Yes Crowd may give me hope. I actually found @Dan_C answered to another member for a similar case, hence sent a message, but hasn't received a reply. Could anyone give help? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Is it possible to get my old mobile number back?

Hi there hankchen08,

If it was disconnected in March 2019, there is a strong possibility it has completed the approx. six month quarantine process and been reallocated to another person out there. What happens when you call the number?

Dan does pop in to provide responses and assistance however we're unable to look into services/accounts here on Yes Crowd, our public forum. 

If you have a social media account, please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details.

Let us know how you go.  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks a lot! Thank both @Ray_YC  and @Dan_C  for your help! 

I called the old number several times, all instantly got "The number you called is NOT CONNECTED". Is this still possible to take the number off the market and assign it to my new Optus SIM?

I now am going to send a PM to Optus on Facebook now.

Cheers, Hank

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Fingers crossed for you, Hank. 🤞 

Let us know how you go.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi hank , how did you go ? Did u manage to get your old number back ?
0 Kudos
Top Contributors