Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Is it ok for international students to sign a contract?

Hello. I am currently thinking of studying abroad in Australia.
I'm 17 years old now but I'll have been 18 when I go to Australia.

Then in Australia, I have to make a new SIM to communicate with everyone and people in my country.

This is the question but can I make a new SIM without parents even though I am still 18?

If not, how can I make it?

My current carrier is also available in Australia but it'll cost me a lot of money so I want to make a new SIM instead of its prepaid SIM

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Is it ok for international students to sign a contract?

How much data will you want each month. What overseas country do you want to call?

Do you just want a SIM or also a phone on a phone plan?

Are you happy to get a new mobile number?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I'm going to stay at Australia for around 5 years and I'm Japanese so I want to call Japan

I already have iPhone XR, which is not SIM-locked and I want to use 60GB per month.

I'm alright to get a new number

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You should be fine. Worst case you can start with a pre-paid SIM. You can pick these up with no contract and just need a home address (which you can provide). Unfortunately 60Gb prepaid is pricey.

A normal Optus plan for 60Gb is $49 a month which you should be fine to get once here.

Note once you have an Australian mobile number you can easily transfer it to any new service or Telco. So you can get a prepaid setup and then look to get the long term plan plan in place.

As a plus Optus provides unlimited free calls to Japan on their plans

If you think you can do with say 40Gb or so then another option might be a prepaid company called Boost. They have good 365 day plans and also unlimited free calls to Japan.

Do you know the address you'll be staying at?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Okay, Thank you so much!

I've not decided where I will stay yet so I'll make a contract after getting to Australia!