cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Is Optus .....?

I wonder when Optus is going to match Telstra with the No Contract and No excess Data charges....?

4 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Optus .....?

I don't think they will ever offer throttled data plans and given the amount of data they offer compared to Telstra they probably don't need to. They both offer no contract plans so is this some different sort of plan I haven't see?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Optus charge $10 per Gb on every plan they offer (including the 3Gb plans)

Going month to month on Optus costs 50% more than a 12-24 Optus month plan

Optus monthly plans top out at 45Gb compared to 100Gb for a plan.

Its an alternative business model but I too would like to see Optus just charge a set fee for each month. Lets face it, the deals are excellent and most people on month to month would just stay with Optus for 12 months because its a great deal. Why try trap customers when that's hardly the way customers like to feel? 

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes I see the plans in question and whilst the monthly contract is certainly a great thing they don't compare data wise with the 12 month plans. I would actually like to see unlimited 4G data plans even if it was at a reduced speed. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Most would (like to see unlimited speed reduced plans).

Optus actually has a chance here to one up Telstra IMO. One big flaw in the new Telstra approach is that their doesn't seem to be a good way to get extra full speed data if you do hit the limit (although you can flip up to the next data tier for a month I suppose). Optus could provide the sam offering (speed limited max plans) but also provide a sensible manual top up option. Say 5Gb for $10? 

I must be a bit spoilt on download limits by Optus as people are saying the Telstra ones are "generous" but having to spend $50 just to get 15Gb seems over priced to me.

Peter Gillespie

Top Contributors