cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Is It safe to cancel a phone service once it has been ported over to another service

My parents have changed from Optus to Foxtel for home phone NBN and broadbamd  Foxtel have  informed me that the porting process has been completed, is it now safe to cancel their home phone service with optus.?  Also our  Optus mobile phones cannot ring to their land line.  Their land line can ring to Optus mobiles.  When we try to ring the land line we get a message "the number you have called is not available from this service"  I have tried calling Optus but cannot get through to the right section  I am concerned as they are elderly and we must be able to contact them at all times 

Please Help

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Is It safe to cancel a phone service once it has been ported over to another service

@Han30 wrote:

My parents have changed from Optus to Foxtel for home phone NBN and broadbamd  Foxtel have  informed me that the porting process has been completed, is it now safe to cancel their home phone service with optus.? 

Yes. Note that ported phone services should automatically get cancelled, but I would call up in any case to to be sure.

Also our  Optus mobile phones cannot ring to their land line.  Their land line can ring to Optus mobiles. 

Does any of this troubleshooting help?

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Is It safe to cancel a phone service once it has been ported over to another service

The inability to call suggests the porting process is not yet complete. Try find someone with a Telstra SIM and call your parents with that as a test. You should find it works. Its something you will need to get Telstra to look into to fix I suspect.

Your Optus phone service should automatically cancel after the port.
0 Kudos