cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor MarkSera
New Contributor

Re: Is IP address public?

Thanks Billy! Will try. I think I have worked out the issue is related to the Huawei USB modem I am using. Will try a proper SIM based router.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Billy123
New Contributor

I am using a Huawei E8372 USB modem connected to a TP-Link TL-MR3420 - the wireless on both I have turned off and run one ethernet port into my server. I've had the same public ip address for 2 months now and its never dropped out.

0 Kudos
New Contributor MarkSera
New Contributor

Hi Billy123, I am using an Optus Huawei E3372 so the problem I think is that they lock out the interface so that you cant do any NAT or DMZ to your local IP address. The modem has a 192.168.8.1 IP address and the PC/laptop will have a 192.168.1.100 IP address set by the USB Modem so you cant specify any NAT/Port Forwarding from 192.168.8.1 through to 192.168.1.100! I will try a SIM based router with internal port forwarding as I think that will work...

0 Kudos
New Contributor Rescue
New Contributor

Hi Billy,

Are you on Optus Pre-Paid or Post Paid? Business customer? 

I am also running an e8372 through a TP-Link 3420 and have set the DMZ on the e8372 to be the IP Address that is going to the WAN of of the 3420 so technically nothing should be stopping anything.

I am using pre-paid which is giving me an internal IP address (Carrier Grade NAT) and I can not creat an IPSec VPN (but I can make a PPTP VPN).

I contacted Optus about it and they were willing to give me a public IP if I sign up for a 24 Month business post paid plan. 

My last request was to confirm that I can use an IPSec VPN through their network but they advised that I could not. 

As I have no faith in any of these Optus staff even knowing what I was talking about I thought I would ask around to see if anyone else has it working. 

Have you tried connecting to an IPSec VPN through your Optus Mobile Broadband that has a public IP?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Willy123
Occasional Contributor

As an Update - I'm Billy123. Optus have removed the Billy123 or I am unable to re-connect as that user.

Virgin have as at December 2017 decided to dump public ip addresses and offer half a gig data compensation with a new plan.

They have lost a lot of Customers in doing so - especially as none of their constant advertising ever mentioned the fact we would loose public addresses.

Beagle is the only provider using Optus that now offer a true public Ip address - But there are other ways if you are using a PC you can connect via a VPN service and get a similar service but this requires a greater amount of networking / technical knowledge that even your local computer store will not be able to help you with.

Let's all stop paying for the NBN,

0 Kudos
New Contributor hardball
New Contributor

Hi Billy,

Care to enlighten me how to get VPN going without a public IP? (openvpn?)

Thanks in advance.

K

0 Kudos
Top Contributors