Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor SoFrustrated
Occasional Contributor

Is IP address public?

Just cant get a straight answer from any provider using Optus mibile.

Im leaving iinet ADSL.

Im trying to move to 4G as it is much faster and ive no NBN.

I have a .com domain name with ddns.

i have a private (password protected) website for family photos. Ssh and Rdp listeners for remote access. Password protected security cams listening on ip ports.

So. Is the WAN address assigned by optus public?

I ask because pinging the address from work is not working. Im using a usb dongle into a modem running Gargoyle so no Android port-blocks going on. I can only guess the IP is private thru a subnet or all incoming connections are blocked.

Does anyone know definatively (ie. Optus engineer) what the mobile setup is? Am i gonna have to move back to ADSL?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Occasional Contributor

Re: Is IP address public?

Answering my own question.  Noi it is not.

The WAN assigned address is 10.183.x.x

But go to What is my IP address sites and they report 49.197.x.x

Great.  So Optus mobile networks ok good for basic internet stuff. Ho hum.  Looks like I'm back to ADSL....

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Sooo frustrating.  Vaya, Exetel and finally Jeenee tried before I realised.

4G could so compete with NBN now we dont have fiber to the home. There are many many technically skilled potential customers out there that are not joining because they need incoming connections.  A huge source of revenue is being missed Optus.

I dont want a business account as I'm not a business.  I just want to be able to Remote Desktop in, share my private family pics with family overseas (without using a cloud provider and lose control of my pics), access my security cams, receive e-mails to pop server....  But I cant.

The really anoying thing is that the Optus staff reading this wont even understand what I am on about.  That is why I'm frustrated.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

I understand your concerns SoFrustrated and I'm sorry we're not able to provide an option that works for you. I will be passing on feedback though.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Billy123
New Contributor

People,

After much searching and yes I bought a Mobile Broadband dongle and SIM from Optus to only figure out the WAN address is not Public (even though some info on an Optus website said it would be)

Well, I have the answer, Virgin Postpaid mobile broadband uses a Dynamic Public address, with a DHCP lease of 24 hours. I have tested most ports and they are all working. So all you need is a DDNS service and your cooking with gas.

NOTE: 99% of Virgin staff don't understand the question or the answer (like Optus) so your just going to have to trust me.

There are others - Beagle I think but expensive, Telstra also have a fixed IP but you will pay for it.

Occasional Contributor

Hah! Good one Billy.

Optus, Jeenee and Vaya assured me catagorically that the Carrier (Optus) controlled IP adressing and that no carriers assigned public IP addresses to subscribers.

Strikes me that neither Optus nor its resellers know their own products!! What a sad state of affairs - Optus stakeholders are making less on their investments than they should be as there is a growing market not being tapped. Gotta larf..... 🙂

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Billy, I looked at Virgin but at $100 a month for 25Gig when the going rate is $55 for 50Gig it is kinda nowhere near.

Can I just put it out there to Optus resellers; do a $55 for 50Gig no-frills pack with a public IP address (static OR dynamic - it doesnt matter) and it will sell like hot cakes, make you a small fortune you can spend on Space rockets or small islands and make a high number of tech-savvy and NBN/ADSL disgruntled Inet users very happy.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Billy123
New Contributor

Virgin currently have a bonus data special until the 17th May - $60 for 40gig month to month 4G Mobile Broadband postpaid for as long as you keep the plan, but agree you can get 50 gig for around $50 still via the Optus network (although at what bandwidth).

As an update to ports on the Virgin mobile postpaid broadband network (Note that I'm spelling it out as it's a different network to the mobile data network), I have today run my Business entirely on 4G and had only two issues. One was a given, needed to change the DNS entries in a few places and the other is I found that port 25 is blocked. This is the smtp mail port, so I had to redirect all my business email via smtp.virginbroadband.com.au. I don't have an issue with this, I found a note on virgin's forum that this is the only port they block for spam reasons.

Overall the bandwidth and performance is better than expected and I am dropping one of my spare ADSL lines, may even go completely 4G once the silly NBN kick me off a perfectly fine digital exchange they are junking to ensure there is still no competition in delivering landline communications to the masses. What a balls up that is and we are all paying for it.

So many peolpe don't know you are forced off your copper connection - no choice except to go wireless. No more phones working during storms and blackouts, just what we need.

0 Kudos
New Contributor MarkSera
New Contributor

Just bought one. What APN are using to get a public up address? Mine keeps coming up as a 1.xxx.xxx.xxx?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Billy123
New Contributor

1.178.xxx.xxx - These are public ip addresses. Depending on your router you may not be able to ping the address from you own address, so ping it from a your mobile or another broadband account. If you have a domain name use a DDNS to test.

IP address 1.178.137.92
1.178.137.92 is an IPv4 address owned by Iseek and located in Brisbane (4), Australia

Address type IPv4
ASN 38484 - VIRGIN-BROADBAND-AS-AP Virgin Broadband Australian
ISP Iseek
Timezone Australia/Brisbane (UTC+10)
Local time 16:16:44
Country Australia Australia
State / Region Queensland

0 Kudos
Top Contributors