cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Invalid Sim for 4G wifi connection

Bought the 4G Wifi 500GB month to month postpaid offer . Since I already had a 4G Wifi Plus Optus modem, I only ordered for the new sim. After setting up everything the Wifi connection was working fine in the morning but then a few hours later it stopped working and whenever I try to connect it, it redirects me to a webpage that says Invalid sim. I tried resetting, pulling out the sim and inserting it back again, turning on/ off the device but nothing works. It shows me the same webpage. I inserted the sim on my phone where the OPTUS network pops up but it's not able to call or receive calls. Is it the new sim's problem? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Invalid Sim for 4G wifi connection

What actual device do you have?
That plan has a limited number of devices that the plan will work with (its a condition of the plan)

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

It's a 4G Wifi Optus Modem (4G Plus). I sent a picture of my modem to the Optus team before placing my order and they said it should work perfectly fine with that modem. This is the first time I'm hearing this that plan works for certain devices. The team should have informed me about this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Unfortunately that is not the model number, equivalent of someone saying they have a Ford Car.

This is the list of devices:

Huawei E5786 Router

Huawei B315 Modem

Huawei B593v2 Modem

Huawei B593 Modem

Huawei B525 Modem

Huawei E5186 Modem

Huawei B818 Modem

Optus Netgear AC800S 4G Plus Wi-Fi Modem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

https://offer.optus.com.au/shop/prepaid-device/wifi-e5577

This is the modem that I have. It really shouldn't matter which model number it has because I've been told by them as long as it supports 4g it should be alright. But I guess it does matter then.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Then that is incorrect as its not on the approved list.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Could you please tell me from where I can view this approved list? TIA.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

this would be it:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Optus-Wireless-Broadband-eligible-device-list/m-p/512447/hig...

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I'm actually planning to cancel my Optus service because of this nonsense... 

Have been on a 200GB 4G package for a year or so now, and due to additional home usage during COVID lockdown, we've just about run out of data with 3 days to go. I phoned Optus to ask about getting additional data, but of course, this package is excluded  from their COVID bonus offer. 

So instead I upgraded to the 500 GB package. For some inexplicable reason, they can't simply upgrade the package on my existing SIM card, but need to do their part in creating more plastic and emissions to deliver me a new SIM card. 

The new SIM card does arrive the following day, which is great. I insert it into the OPTUS branded Huawei 4G USB modem (E3372) that I bought when I first signed up to Optus (which is in turn connected to a TP-link modem/router and a Meraki AP). After a few hours, the LED shines blue, and I think "Great! We're in business" But alas, no... even though the status screen at 192.168.8.1 says the 4G modem is connected, my devices simply won't connect to the internet. I try rebooting a few times with no luck. 

I then insert the 4G modem into my PC, which promptly opens a browser tab with a message saying "Invalid SIM", as described by the OP here. I try reach Optus support via online chat, but give up after some time and call the contact centre (I'm still on hold... it's now been 57 minutes).

While on hold, I discover this forum and the list of 'approved devices', which again, for some inexplicable reason excludes Optus' own devices. 

Because, of course, I can browse the Optus website, so _clearly_ the SIM card works with this device just fine. 

So I suspect there's some dodgy reason why Optus a) insists on sending a new SIM card and b) only allows certain devices to operate with their network. I suspect that this is so that they can charge "mobile workers" with 4G dongles more than they charge for home broadband. Which is fair enough, however _please_ don't put your customers through the pain of signing up for a SIM only service when you know it's not going to work with the device that you sold them in the first place. 

The way I see it, you can:
a) make the SIM card work with my device (as it should)
b) provide me with a new device free of charge, and then refurbish my old, perfectly working devices so they don't go into a landfill. And pay for the carbon offset while you're at it. 

In all cases: get your act together and _don't be dodgy_. You are completely overloading your support staff with customer queries that could have been avoided if you didn't try to be clever and screw over your customers like this in the first place.  

0 Kudos
Top Contributors