cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Triumph2003
New Contributor

International roaming in the UK on SIM Only plan

Going to uk next month, would like to know the cheapest method of getting SMS data and calls 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: International roaming

How long for?

Do you have an optus mobile plan?

New Contributor

Just going for a month.

I'm on a sim only plan 👍

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are you needing to have you specific number for calls? Are you wanting to just touch base with friends and family?  Are you out of contact now? What monthly rate do you currently pay now? Have you checked if your current plan provides any free roaming? Do you want a decent amount of data while traveling?

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor

Hi Peter, 

I would like to keep my number.

I need to keep in contact with family and business.

I am in contact now.

My monthly plan is $45 for 80 gig of data.

I'm affraid my current plan doesn't provide  any free roaming.

And finally I do use a lot of data.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The keeping your own number (while traveling)r limits your options. The standard way would be to buy 30 Optus travel packs for$300 for the month. This gives you 3Gb of roaming data too.

I don't like travel packs because you can easily exceed your data and rack up large fees (overseas warnings are dodgy IMO). Travel tip, set you local phone data limit to try keep track. Travel trip 2 download local copies of your destination Google maps.

If you want lots of data then you could grab a UK Sim and swap it in and out as needed? There are other options but you'd need to drop the number requirement.

Peter Gillespie

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sorry just wanted to put my 5 cents in and let you know that if you decide to take your postpaid sim to UK and you ANSWER any calls, you will be charged roaming rates per minute you are on the call, from the time you pick that call up. If you decline the call, you wont be charged

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

No need to apologise. @MRSKNOWITALL . Your 5c could save some one much more than that.

Peter Gillespie

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Good advice received 🙂 

Please find more information on roaming here: Our Roaming Travel Packs and on our roaming site here.

Safe travels!

P.S. If you decline a call but have a messaging service active that will incur a charge so that is another thing to check before you leave.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor Alola
New Contributor

yes. My plan is $25 plan for 2 phones, and i would like to make a call to UK, but dont know the rate, I think there is speciala rate
0 Kudos
Top Contributors