Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor ChrissieC
New Contributor

International Roaming issues

Hi,

I'd appreciate it if you could investigate my recent experience with international roaming and clarify what happened?

I recently received my mobile bill for the period I was overseas and it was for $591.16. This comprises of $438.83 of Roaming Data Usage (439MB) used whilst making flight connections in zone 1 and zone 2 countries (approx. 2 hour stoppover in each zone).

FYI, I activated roaming via My Optus App before leaving Australia and received a confirmation text message from Optus.

When I was made aware of the spiralling costs by text message (during my second flight stop over in Holland), I re-activated the roaming via the My Optus App and there was no further issues.

Also, there is ambigurity between my received bill (which lists Roaming Data Usage >400MB) and the My Optus App breakdown that lists 0 (zero). How is this possible?

Regards,

ChrissieC

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: International Roaming issues

Duplicate post deleted.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not sure if you meant reactivated or deactivated your roaming once you saw the spiralling costs?

From what I understand roaming data can be extremely slow at showing up under data usage however the fact that it's showing zero is a bit perplexing. I do recall looking at data usage in the my account portal and i noticed that roaming data was listed separately. I am not familiar with looking at roaming data in the mobile app and I'm wondering if perhaps it's listed elsewhere as it was in the my account portal?

Edit: I forgot to ask when did you use the roaming data. Is this like days or weeks ago?

0 Kudos
New Contributor ChrissieC
New Contributor

Thanks for the prompt response.

For clarity, when I initially activiated roaming in Australia, it was via My Optus App > settings menu. When I was made aware of the spiralling costs, I returned to the My Optus App and activated roaming via the roaming menu. I didn't, as far as I am aware, deactivate roaming.

I used the roaming in December.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have a feeling that the extreme delay in the data usage meter when roaming may have had something to do with the ommision from your data usage meter. The first link below states data may be delayed longer than 2 days when roaming so if your billing period changed before the data hit the meter then that may explain why it was missing.

Unfortunately I can't tell you anything further than that however if you have access to the Optus my account portal it may provide more information. Short of an Optus staff member seeing this post you would need to contact support and you can do that via the live chat link below if you can get through.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/optusalerts

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @ChrissieC, I've replied back to your private message. Feel free to chat with us there. If you'd like to discuss your roaming charges in more detail, I'm happy to take a look. I look forward to hearing back 🙂 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors