cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor melloyello
New Contributor

Insurance

I just had a really frustrating experience with one of the several iphoneXs that my family has and which I pay for under a single contract. All 4 are insured at something like $19 per month. But when I recently took my daughter's phone in to Optus because it was not working, we went through a whole hour long process in the store to see what the problem was, at the end of which they said a replacement should be claimed under insurance. After another 30 minutes on the phone, still in store, the insurance agent said that I had to lodge this for repair under warranty. Which I did, and was told that it would take a week or two. After 3 weeks and not hearing, I rang the Optus warranty centre and was told that the phone had been returned to the store and not repaired , as it was not repairable under warranty.

I then went back to the store and asked them to (re) initiate the insurance claim process. Only to be told by the store that they did not have the phone. I waited a few days and went back again. This time they did a 30 mimute search and said they still did not have the phone, but that they would in any case help me lodge the insurance claim. I then spent about 60 minutes on the phone completing the insurance process, only to be told at the end that because the warranty claim had not been successful, the insurance would not apply. Unless I went to Apple and had them confirm that a screen repair previously carried out had not impacted the phone's functioning.

At this point, after 3 store visits and something like 2.5hrs of time in store, all up, I had had enough. I have been paying $19 per month (times 4) for the past two years for insurance, as well as over $600 per month in fees to Optus.

The insurance is just a scam. You cant get you phone repaired on the spot at Optus, so you go to a repairer to fix small things like damaged screens. Then for big things, they use that against you to dishonour the insurance.

I have had it!! Fortunately all our contracts are now up for renewal. I WILL NOT be renewing with OPTUS (to whom I have paid over $12,000 in the last two years just on the current contracts, let alone over the past 10 years!). And I will defintely not be taking out insurance again. 

I will also be lodging a complaint with the Telecommunications Ombudsman, as I this whole insurance rort needs correcting and Optus needs sorting out!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Insurance

Yeah, that sounds pretty abysmal. One thing that's not clear to me is was the issue some sort of physical damage or was it that the phone was malfunctioning?

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
New Contributor melloyello
New Contributor

No obvious sign of damage at all.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok so the phone was not turning on? no sound? I ask because you've been shunted between several different 'insurance' options and one of them would have been the most appropriate.
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi melloyello,

Another customer recently posted about a rejected claim that they wished to dispute. Aside from that we don't really hear of that many bad experiences with Device Protect.

This thread details the complaint process as per the PDS.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos