Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Azzy
New Contributor
New Contributor

Insurance claim

Submitted an insurance claim in store on 19/04/2018,. Received no reply email saying thank you for submitting insurance claim, what you need to do next, when I open email it's blank. Received text message with BASC number. I have tried many times to track the repair status but every time am taken to the critical information summary page, am I missing something

0 Kudos
9 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Insurance claim

Insurance is handled by a third party I believe.

Ring the number in here and see if they can find your claim.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Azzy
New Contributor
New Contributor

I called and my phone was located and ready to be collected 2 days later. Thanks

0 Kudos
Aym011
New Contributor
New Contributor

OPTUS INSURANCE IS A JOKE AND USELESS. THEY ARE UNHELPFUL AND WILL NOT PROVIDE A LOAN PHONE

NO STORES PROVIDE LOAN PHONES - IN THE LAST 5 MONTHS I HAVE HAD NO LUCK

TODAY EVEN TECH SUPPORT WHO TRIED TO HELP ME AFTER REALISING MY FRUSTRATION CONTACTED OPTUS INSURANCE AS THE SEND OUT PROCESS DID NOT ALLOW A CLAIM NUMBER TO BE PUT IN THE ORDER PROCESSING AREA (GREYED OUT). THE TECH SUPPORT GUY CONTACTED INSURANCE TEAM WHOM THEN TOLD HIM THEY WOULDN'T HELP HIM AND HE WAS THROWN FROM PERSON TO PERSON. HE CAME BACK SO FRUSTRATED THAT HE TOTALLY AGREED WITH ME THAT THE PROCESS IS A JOKE. HE THEN SAID THAT I HAD TO CALL OPTUS INSURANCE AGAIN FOR ARRANGING A LOAN PHONE TO BE SENT OUT AS THE FORM REQUIRES A CLAIM NUMBER TO BE INSERTED AND THIS CAN ONLY BE DONE IN THEIR DEPT. AND I DO THIS, AND GET HUNG UP ON, ON PURPOSE BY A CLAIMS PERSON, EVEN AFTER I EXPLAINED WHAT I WAS TOLD AND THE ISSUES. THEN I ASKED FOR A SUPERVISOR AND WAS REFUSED!

OPTUS INSURANCE IS A SCAM. I AM REPORTING THIS TO INSURANCE OMBUDSMAN!

Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @Aym011, I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. With any insurance policy, there will always be a PDS (Product Disclosure Statement) which explains the full ins and outs of your policy. Every PDS for every policy is available via the Optus website here.

All policies also come with a cooling off period which allows time to check the PDS to confirm if the policy is suitable for your needs.

I'm afraid that Optus insurance policies have never included options for a loan phone. Tech Support may often be able to provide one, but it is never guaranteed and definitely not promised as part of your policy agreement.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Based on the Optus site 'Loan Phone' policy it definitely is 'may'. But that said the strong inference is that any repairs likely to take more than a week will be sent out a replacement phone. 

I guess the question is, does Optus ever provide a loan phone now days? Is this still an active process in Optus and if so why is it so hard to access? Based on the above link a loan phone should be more the norm than the exception, yet just what the criteria is is extremely opaque. Who decides on who gets a phone? In store staff are meant to be able to arrange for the phone to be sent out and yet they can't seem to do it even if they want to.

At the end of the day this is not a niche/unsurprising part of the Optus buisness. Its a coal face issue that affects already stressed out customers and should have an extremely straight forward and defined process in place. But instead of taking the chance to end up with a happy customer experience, Optus seems once again to have vaguley promised one thing and then made it as difficult as possible to access in practice.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

It definitely is an active process, but not all handsets are covered. The support article on my end also states loan phones are only available for same unit repairs.

When processing a claim, the agent puts in the make/model of the handset to see if the handset is eligible for a loan phone. I've had a look on my end and it appears that almost no iPhones are covered, but Samsungs are.

If your device is eligible, it then comes down to availability of the handsets.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Aym011
New Contributor
New Contributor

@Toomey

I have to correct you there. Through Optus's Mobile Device Repair I am eligible for a free loan phone due to my insurance claim being active - as told to me by the people when I had my insurance claim accepted. This service offers loan phones for Apple. 

Few points: 

The website on this service says there is an option to have phones posted out - but the tech support people cannot complete the request if there is a claim number. Therefore they couldn't do this, and their actual response to me is that only the insurance claims dept can insert a claim number to complete the process.  Insurance dept refuse to do this, and only allow people to access requesting a loan phone in a store. This is direct from the Tech support man whom tried ot help me on the phone for over an hour the other day.

As for the loan phone: From what I found out from the only helpful Optus person I have ever experienced in person (in Noosa) This is a refurb. phone offered direct from Apple. HOWEVER, not all stores do this! In fact as I found out this is because only optus direct owned stores offer this (no information available on this anywhere I may add) he told me, and when I stated the stores I visited, even the optus direct owned stores had been cut off from Apple as they were not doing the correct process and Apple have black listed them as able to submit phones (ie not checking correctly if phone damaged per warranty etc). So because optus staff have not done the correct process, the end user ie; ME cannot access what I am entitled to. Also No one on the phone in insurance could tell me a store I could reach to get a phone. 

In the end I went to Noosa 2 hours from my home, to access the only Optus store I could find would help me properly. 

Also, after the insurance people REFUSED me access to the supervisor and I said a few swear words when hanging up - GUESS WHAT - My sim got barred by Optus. How spiteful and pathetic!

So clearly from your response you are another confused Optus employee whom does not know the actual processes correctly. Your response alone is evidence enough this entire process is flawed and the staff have no idea of what is happening for us as the end user. 

Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

The PDS document for your policy outlines the full inclusions. If you run through it via the link I have provided, you will see that loan phones are not mentioned and therefore not included as part of your policy. Optus does offer loan phones, but this is not included with insurance, it is just a standard Optus process.

Clearly a lot of different departments have advised different things which has only caused further confusion, for which I can only apologise.

Tech Support cannot raise an insurance claim, hence they cannot provide a loan phone for your insurance claim. They would only be able to raise the request for a standard repair.

The insurance department can only provide a loan phone for SURs and models that are covered. As I have mentioned, iPhones are not applicable. I have not heard of Apple "cutting off" Optus from loan phones, but I can confirm my system reflects that loan phones are not available for iPhones.

I can't apologise enough for the run around you've had to endure to get this confirmed. If you would like to reach out directly for further assistance, please feel free to send me a private message and I will gladly assist.

0 Kudos
Aym011
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Insurance claim - Use of Mobile Device Repair offered by Optus with Insurance is useless

To further show how useless this system is....I finally got a loan phone from the Noosa store whom kindly allowed my partner to pick it up for me due to me having to travel 2 hours to access this service of a loan phone. I got one within 2 days AND I got it myself after hours that eve. Had to be at work and leave Noosa shire by 6 am the next morning ... Only to have the phone that arrived to me as a loan phone...

LOCKED TO ANOTHER USER WITH A PASSCODE AND ID. Useless

Due to the also useless fact that I cannot call an optus store to talk in person, then the Loan Phone was useless. I couldn't access another phone without buying one. I used an old phone locked to telstra and my tablet phone number. I lost up to a weeks business. I called Optus to try and speak to the store without success. I called Optus to try and have my number diverted and got a string along and wasted yet another day sorting out the bad systems and processes and departments or phone call centre staff whom don't know what they are doing to try and help me the end user stuck on their network. 

I WILL NEVER USE OPTUS AGAIN AND WILL ALSO MOVE TO TELSTRA ASAP.

0 Kudos