cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Nick-Roche
New Contributor

Insurance Claim

As an Optus customer of 25 years i have just lodged an insurance clain for a iPhone 7, we have been paying Optus Insurance premiums on this phone of $15 a month for the last 16 monts. The Insurance covers lost, stolen,or accidently damaged. The claim has been rejected by Optus Insurance - under Exclusions (e) "Damage to insured equipment due to improper or abnormal use, any process or while actually being worked upon and resulting therefrom, including but not limited to unauthorised repar." We had screen replaced on the phone about a year ago by a repairer (not Apple) and the phone has worked fine since then.  Recently the phone was damaged when dropped in a bag and as just does not work. It is not related to the previous repair but damaged in the bag. I just feel Optus Insurance is looking for an excuse not to pay this claim and are looking for an excuse. It this normal behaviour for Optus Insurance? Has anyone else had the same experience where Optus are finding a dubious reason not to honour the contract?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Insurance Claim

Personally I've found this is standard behaviour for any insurance, Optus or otherwise. They proactively write these clauses for circumstances like this because 1) they payout less claims and 2) it helps remove grey areas for them. I'm sure what you've said is right and your screen repair previously has nothing to do with dropping it but the terms are there because there's a chance that repairing 1 component of phone can cause issues with others (or not actually fixed the original component). If Optus repair it, they can take responsibility for messing up but they won't take responsibility for a 3rd party, hence the way they right their rules. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Nick-Roche
New Contributor

Re: Insurance Claim

Thanks for your views. I agree with you if the unauthroised repair was done recently. The screen was replaced a year ago and the phone has worked fine since, so it is a bit rich to avoid honouring the policy for damage replacement based on that. Its like getting a car fixed at an repairer yourself and then when you have an accident a year later the insurance company blaming the smash repairer you used a year ago. They are simply using this clause to avoid honoring their contract. Simple as that.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors