Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Peraj82
New Contributor
New Contributor

Indian Scam, Posted 2 iPhone 12 to them in Sydney

I was called on my mobile by an Indian woman who called herself Ann (if I don't mistake). The number I was contacted was (02) 80066676. She knew my name and some info about me and said they are calling from Optus to give 50% discount. They lead me to get additional information such as my birth, passport issue and expiry dates. Then they said I will receive a new sim card. I asked why I would receive a new sim they said its fine and my number will remain same. I received message on my phone that orders for new phone numbers are placed. I called them and they said it is an error and everything is fine. Then I received two boxes from Optus with two iPhone 12 pro and two sim cards. I called Optus immediately and they said if I hadn't ordered them I can return them. While I was talking with them the scammers started calling me. They said they are from the billing department and I should return the boxes back to them and I would get an applewatch 44mm, for my troubles. The other side (real Optus I called) said they will send me a return kit to send things back. The scammers claimed if I send them by the other side I have to pay half the shipping and I wont get the watch. When I asked optus they said shipping is free but they said they are not sure about the watch. (I wish the optus employees were more aware of these types of scammers and I could be advised, but they seemed confused and unsure). I received many calls from both sides and I was even confused in some point since both sides had an Indian accent (in this point there was a guy not that woman). In one point the scammer even shouted at me! I was told by the scammers I need to send the boxes to the address they emailed me from (hidden) Express Australia Post and when posted the tracking numbers should be emailed to them. They pressed hard I post things asap even same day. I posted them the following day to the address scammers gave me in Guildford NSW 2161). Then I received a call from +***** instead of the Australian number from the scammers. I  thought maybe optus is using foreigners for responding the calls. When I came home and checked the address I realised it is a normal house and not a warehouse and noticed its a scam. I called the post office (explained the problem and asked for the return); called Optus (they asked me to fill form and wait for days and if they hadnt received the boxes then they could start an investigation...); later went to police (just told me to report the identity theft).

Luckily the post in the last seconds just before the delivery and they are now on the way to be returned to me.

Now I look back and I can't believe why I went along with these scammers. I usually hang up on these scammers (which I get a lot) but since they already knew my name and some account details as well as the Australian telephone number I thought they were legit.  

Conclusion:

If someone calls you with an Indian accent and an English name, do not respond. Particularly after hours and on the weekend.

Don't give your details on the phone.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Dont hold your breath for police to help, your best chance would be the post returning the goods.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ray_YC
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Indian Scam, Posted 2 iPhone 12 to them in Sydney

Thanks for the advice and warning to our Yes Crowd Community, Peraj82. Good to hear you managed to get the right outcome in the end.

This sounds pretty similar to the Device Seller Scam case study we have on our Latest Scams & Digital Safety website.

Those who need assistance with Identity Theft can find the process on our Help & Support page.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am now no longer part of Yes Crowd or Optus. Thank you to all those who have contributed to the forum during my time, especially the regulars! Cheers!
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Now I look back and I can't believe why I went along with these scammers. "

Don't feel too bad. Its easy to be caught up and they are good at what they do. Psychologically once people have made some small steps down the wrong path they often unconsciously head further to 'prove' to themselves that the original bad decision was actually right.

Your tips are good. Basically any contact via phone, email, SMS, letter, door knock etc. should be declined. The risks of being scammed are far greater than the chance its a legit thing. You did the right thing initially contacting Optus directly but for some reason decided to keep doing what the scammers wanted (I assume a measure of greed to get the free watch?)

Unfortunately Optus do little to protect customers as the staff are not trained to deal with this situation and there is no dedicated goto place in Optus for people who are worried about or have already been stung to get some rapid and effective help.

On top of this Optus still cold call customers and demand ID details so they can proceed with the call (which involves a special deal they can only reveal if you hand over you ID details) - frankly unbelievable IMO.

Glad you didn't get stung for two iPhones
Peraj82
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes Peter, the greed of getting the applewatch was the main factor. Also, I tried to verify this with the optus employee that I had called, he said he doesnt know anything about it. I wish Optus had trained its staff about these cases and they could advise me there is something smelly there.

In the past, I had many calls from these scammers and I had turned off on them, even I watched so many videos on youtube about these scammer call centers in India, but this time they got me. And yes you are right in cases we are called and asked for some details for proving our identity such as full name and date of birth and that was the reason I told them in the first place since they already knew my name and I had a relatively new passport that I wondered they dont have details.

The email they sent email to me for the address was info @ optusbilling. com and the telephone number later they called me started by +34 which if I dont mistake is Spain (of course they were using a software from India).

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Yep optusbilling.com is a scam site.
+34 is Spain, so you have been making international calls every time you called them. It may also be a premium number so you might want to check your phone charges.
Peraj82
New Contributor
New Contributor

They are in India there is an application to make their calls look from other countries. Their other calls were from an Australian number.

0 Kudos