Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor MandyT
Occasional Contributor

Incorrect excess data charges

Within the space of two days early last week, I received 6 text messages from Optus advising me that I'd exceeded my data usage limit and they'd charged me $10 each time ($60 in total for an apparent excess usage of 6GB). The problem is that I had barely used my phone data, which I confirmed by looking at my Optus app Service data breakdown - it read close to zero. 

Of course, I can't get in contact with Optus to discuss this with them, as I'm one of millions of customers suffering at the hands of their abysmal network connectivity speed. So webchat is out of the question. Past history shows that phone wait times are ridiculous, then I'd simply be passed around from one agent to another, with no contact notes saved to SAP as a record of any of my conversations. 

So, here I am, Community Managers, advising you to remove the $60 fee for excess data last week. I've paid the rest of the bill. Won't pay for excess data I didn't use. 

This time, I'll be going straight to the ombudsmen about the issue, rather than wasting several hours of my time in tedious interractions with your staff over several weeks.

Regards

Amanda Townsend

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Incorrect excess data charges

So the charges have made it onto your bill? (FWIW I would suggest paying the full amount at this point as not doing so will probably trip a cascade of late fees and account freezes etc. that will be a lot more headache to put right.)

Note that excess data charges don't have to be real time and could have been incurred days earlier (its shoddy but its the system). Apparently Facebook is the place to go for responsive Optus service at the moment (the forum definitely will provide no assistance from Optus directly anymore). I would suggest doing so as the TIO usually requires an effort on your part before they get involved. Note the Mobile Phone App CONTACT option has been good for me too. 

At this stage it sounds like you just need to request a data usage breakdown for last month? 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor MandyT
Occasional Contributor

Re: Incorrect excess data charges

Thanks for the advice, Peter. Their customer service is abominable, hence why I'm loathe to call them up and waste my precious time. Will try the Facebook site. I'd hate to pay for the fees then also waste my time chasing them u pl for a resolution, only to give up and pay. This is what happened last year when after 2 months of haggling over their postage of the wrong mobile handset, I had to give in and accept the wrong handset and be locked into a 2 year contract with these clowns. For all my phone calls, webchat etc. There were no contact notes kept in the system, so every time I contacted them, I'd have to explain the situation to get another person, who'd then handball me to multiple other ineffective people. Ahhh. 10 more months to go then bye bye Optus.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors