cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Impossible to increase plan

I am having a bit of a frustrating moment with Optus.

I recently joined Optus on a 24months plan. Very happy with the service.

I subscribed to a $79 flex plan. Now I require more inclusions into my plan so I contacted Optus to increase to a $105 plan (200gb).

Apparently, this isn't possible unless I cancel and re-contract?! This would incur cancellation fees? WTH?

What kind of company would make it difficult for their customers to spend an extra $25/month?!

I thought this was an error by the sales person but got the same answer on the phone and during a second libe chat session.

I understand this would apply if I was trying to decrease my plan, but this isn't the case.

I never had this issue with Telstra, they would absolutely take make money to increase my plan.

If anyone could perhaps clarify for me… am I missing something??

The live chat sessions have been very frustrating. With staff members not understanding the simple concept of going onto a higher plan ....

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Impossible to increase plan

Yes that does seem a bit strange but I if read the terms and condition it appears that going up a plan size is only available on owned phones. I must say I have never seen the value in leased phones and given the S9 lease on the $79 plan is the same price as the owned phone maybe I am missing something as well.

https://www.optus.com.au/opfiles/Shop/All/cis/Cis%20Documents/800923_CIS_79_Promo_Flex_0418_O.pdf?

https://www.optus.com.au/opfiles/Shop/All/cis/Cis%20Documents/800921_CIS_79_Promo_Plus_0418_O.pdf?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I believe Optus group plans. Specials and deals that come along can place offeres outside the group. This makes sense as for example Optus might contract someone for $80 fo 50Gb a month. If you wanted 100Gb at the time the cost would be $100. Same Group. But when Optus offer a special deal of $90 for 100Gb then its outside that group. Even though you are paying $10 more in theory you're essentially jumping from one contract to a new one. Seperate groups may also essentially require a new contract to specify new details. 

You should have an option to increase your data to 200Gb but it just won't be using a recent special.

Perhaps do your sums on the cancellation fees. It may be that after its done the overall savings would mean it might be worth it. Optus just announced its doubling data on most plans which is perhaps what you're looking at? 

You don't say you're on a lease but @Yeldarb is good at spotting these things. If you are I would definitely recommend reconsidering it. All the risk of damaging or losing the phone is on you as you must hand back a phone at the end of the lease period. Also for maybe $200 in plan savings you don't end up with a $1000+ phone that you could sell on ebay or give to a friend, again you have to give it back to Optus. The non lease plans are essentially identical except for the $5-$10 monthly price difference.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, Yes it does make sense. In saying that, if this is the case, they should provide me with an Option to increase my plan within the same group?

This is something that never happened to me in the past with other telcos.

So everyone needs to know that if they become an Optus customer and have changes in circumstances (family going overseas etc...) they won't be able to increase their plan. 

The critical information summary does indicate that it is a possibility though. No mention of re-contracting. 

Yes I realised the lease plan may not have been the best option. Special with a device like Note 9 that cost $1700.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I can only think that perhaps 100Gb is the highest size you're offered. 200Gb plans are relatively new. The new double data offer only applies up to 100Gb plans too (So 200Gb plans won't go to 400Gb). Anyway they should have offered it but you can ask specifically.

I personally think Optus makes there pricing structure way too complicated. Especially as it appears their backend can't handle many of the convolutions and has to be manually adjusted (leading to endless posts asking where X item is, or why am I being over billed). I believe Telstra just reviewed their plans and found they had 1800 on offer. They've decided to reduce this to 20 going forward. I think Optus could gain significantly in following suit, but the big business model has for so long been to bamboozle customers and make direct comparisions very hard so perhaps they won't.

Just make sure the Note9 is insured and you should be good to go. My home insurance (GIO) has the option to cover $X a year of unstipulated goods out and about. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The information on the link below under FAQ'S / Can I change my plan? suggests it can be done so I’m not sure what the story is. Maybe there are different Flex plans other than the one you are on.

https://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/my-plan-flex-plans-how-do-they-work?requestType=NormalR...

0 Kudos