cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor sway85
New Contributor

IMEI Blocked Incorrectly

So last year I reported a case of fraud to Optus. Basically some scammer managed to successfully port my number from Optus to Amaysim. After weeks of trying to resolve the issue, eventually I just got a new SIM and new number. I upgraded my phone around the same time (Sep 2017). I usually keep my old iPhones in case friends/relatives want them but I havent picked up the phone (iPhone 6) since then. Last week my partner needed the phone so we tried putting his vodafone SIM into the iPhone. It said SOS only. Tried doing a factory reset, updating carrier settings etc. Nothing worked. Eventually, after some googling, I discovered that this can happen when a carrier blocks an IMEI. So last night I had a Live Chat with an Optus support person who checked the IMEI and confirmed it was blocked. This is very strange because that phone has never left my possession and didnt have anything to do with my number being fraudulently used. Does Optus know that a mobile phone and mobile number are two different things? Anyway, the support person told me it would be fixed and the phone would be active within 24 hours. It has been 26 hours, the phone is still blocked. Optus dont have any real life people I can speak to apparently. Has anyone had an issue like this? How did you get it resolved?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: IMEI Blocked Incorrectly

You did everything right, the only way to get it unblocked is through Optus. Has it come back to life yet? Make sure you reset it when you're testing to. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Re: IMEI Blocked Incorrectly

Hey there @sway85, that doesn't seem right Smiley Sad

If you can please PM us with your previous account number, your full name and DOB we can definitely chase this up for you! 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors