Searching...

Mobile

I’m wanting to upgrade my phone. Advice would be much appreciated!

Ellie94

I currently have an iPhone 6, and am looking to upgrade. I’m considering the 8 or the 10, but if anyone can give me any advice or ideas on which phone to upgrade to, that would be great. Open to any and all advice/suggestions!

Re: I’m wanting to upgrade my phone. Advice would be much appreciated!

petergdownload

I'm always happy to say stuff. Smiley Happy

I'm assuming you want to stay with Apple? I would not recommend the X simply because its so poor value for money. Apple have release the near identical 8 and its a much better deal IMO. 

How much data do you think you want each month? I assume you want to get the phone as part of a plan? Personally I prefer buying the phone outright and having 12 month good sim only deal. The overall price is about the same but you gain flexability.

Main advice is not to do a lease plan as the terms are very unfavourable and the benefits are no different to a standard plan (except you save $10 a month on lease)

Peter Gillespie

Ellie94

Hey Peter,

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm leaning towards sticking with Apple, but am not 100% sold yet. Looking to get a plan, with around 50GB of data.

I'd heard the 8 is similar, but also that the camera on the iPhone X is really good? Is the camera on the 8 pretty good as well?

Ellie Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Cameras on the 8 and X are both a lot better than the 7. For 'normal' shooting (i.e. hold the camera up and take a shot) both will take near identical images. HDR is also identical. Video identical. The main differences are: 

1) X has a selfi portrait bokhe option (sharp face and blurs the background)

2)The X does better in low light

Up to you if the price merits the improvements. FWIW I don't think new model phones offer significant improvements these days. Marketting will try tell you otherwise though. 

Two notes. 

1) There have been several recent posts about people ordering iPhones and a month later still waiting for them to arrive. Check you colour carefully (some colours not in stock) Hopefully you'll get yours quickly - perhaps order in a store where you can pick up the stock immeadiately?

2) Currently a 40Gb with iPhone 8 (24 month contract) costs $2520. The same deal with a $1000 iPhone 8 upfront costs $2560. Optus seem to have recently put up their SIM only prices quite a lot. 

Peter Gillespie

LucyS

Hi @Ellie94, are you dead-set on an iPhone or can we persuade you to the dark side of  'droids? I have a Samsung S7 Edge which is still amazing, two (maybe even 3 actually?) years after launch. I reviewed the Samsung S9+ the other day and absolutely loved it. @Yeldarb, got any advice for Ellie on what phone to go for? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Yeldarb

I think the advice Peter has given is spot-on.  If you are comfortable with the iPhone then stick with it.  I am not one for phone insurance but I think it might be worth looking at it given the cost of new phones. Smiley Happy

AlistarS

Agreed, I think @petergdownload is spot on. I was asking myself the same questions a few months ago after hanging onto my favourite iPhone 6 for a while. I went for the 8 over the X purely because like peter said I believe for the value for what the 8 delivers it's a no brainer...plus I didn't really want the eye scanner, as I've never used the fingerprint either. 

As mentioned also, I wouldn't go for the lease option, I'd take the standard and if needed submit a $99 trade in mid contract if you decided you wanted to change your handset early!

Good luck Ellie!

Ellie94

Thanks so much for all the advice guys @Yeldarb @LucyS @petergdownload & @AlistarS !! Much appreciated.

I'm thinking I might go for the iPhone 8 Smiley Happy And yeah, looks like I'll do the mid-contract $99 upgrade @AlistarS.

Thanks again!

Ellie.

Highlighted

petergdownload

Enjoy the new phone.

Just a note that when the time comes to do the $99 upgrade the monthly price will likely change to cover a more or less expensive handset you choose. The contract is also extended for another two years. The alternative is to just pay out the handset for the second 12 months and then drop to a much cheaper SIM only plan from then. But that's a decision for another day.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
142 Kudos
126 Kudos
120 Kudos
78 Kudos
72 Kudos