Searching...

Mobile

Re: I am being overcharged for my data

AlexTheKid87

I would prefer to contact billing team, but since I have been disconnected this looks like the path I have to take. I hope this can be sorted, otherwise I will have to contact the Telco Ombudsman, because I did not join Optus to be taken advantage of...

atee

New month, new opportunities. $20 up already on my monthly bill...

Here we go again...

I’ve sent another complaint through tonight. The response to my previous complaint was hilarious. It made no sense and implied I was some kind of idiot. In fact the person who replied explained that there’s a difference between 4g network and WiFi. Yeah no kidding!!! That’s not my issue and I know the difference. Thanks for nothing. 

The frequency in which these extra 1g’s for $10 is charged, once you exceed your plans data limit, is comical. It’s so obviously in place to make quick easy money without having an explanation. My first 7g as per my plan, took its time over the last 2 weeks, yet I can guarantee Optus will claim another 7g used over the next 1 week now because hey - I’m over my plan (apparently) and now it’s time to cash in - like last month. I think there was a time period where I was charged $30 in under 48 hours (extra 3gb). Yeah right Optus! 

SIGH. 

Toomey

Hi guys, I'm still happy to assist with these enquiries if you send me a private message. Every MB should be accounted for, I should be able to tell you the date and time it was used, as well as the service that requested it.

I'm sorry if this level of service hasn't been offered before. I am a mobile billing expert and happy to assist anyone on this forum that needs a better explanation into their usage. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

atee

Hi @Toomey 

I don’t mean to be rude, but are you just offering a service to prove Optus’ data charges are correct? That’s what it sounds like. No expertise is needed in dissecting the data calculations. I think it’s obvious something dishonest is going on. 

Thank you for your offer in any case. 

Toomey

My offer is to discuss a more in depth analysis of your data usage with you directly. If there's an obvious issue as you have mentioned, it should be clear to identify. My main goal is to make you feel more comfortable with your data usage. Mobile contracts and the way they work are pretty much the same across Australia, costs may differ but calculations are almost identical. I manage this forum to assist and educate, it's clear by this thread that you have had a terrible experience that no one can assist with, I just want to offer the assistance you should of had since the start.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

TB_1981

Having the same issues. I have 100gb included with my plan and since i signed up with optus have been averaging around 40-50gb per month, so not even going close to my data limit.

Just this month however according to Optus i used 70gb in four days!  I spoke to optus about this who advised me there data usage is 100% correct and sent me through the hourly breakdown of when my data was used and it appears that i used nearly 50gb of the 70gb between the hours of midnight and 6am on the four days when i was alseep!

Advised ptus this and they said our data meter is 100% accuarate ther is nothing we can do for you.

Pretty rubbish service if you ask me

tnt1983

#appauling 

I too am having the same issues, though not to the same degree it appears as some others. I find it laughable that @Toomey who is moderating the site is actually okay with the ridiculous ‘data analysis breakdown’ position they hold when people are clearly advising their data is being racked up while they’re asleep, overseas or in massive chunks over a small timeline. 

The last time I got fed up for being overcharged was when I was advised of the 48 hour lag on your data breakdown. Then the customer service rep told me if I didn’t want to chew through Data I should ‘not use the apps that require usage’ ——— my reply was with comical disbelief ‘that’s what the internet is for, downloading data!’

Seriously? You can break down every single byte of data for each and every customer down to the minute, but Optus can’t provide a real time or even within 1-2 hours of  use? 

Whats even more more of a hypocrisy is that your Broadband Usage Alert will come through advising 100% usage, yet the consumer monitoring app still shows data available within your limits. How can they not be on the same metering report? 

I thibk it’s time the Ombudsman and the ACCC was advised so they can begin to calculate just how deceptive Optus is being with their additional data. 

I too too turn my modem off, we tend to use it for small amounts of computing, WiFi when home, Netflix, FOXTEL (2 or 3 hours a month) and Spotify. Though sometimes we can go 2 days without using the large scale apps like Netflix which I then find interesting we can still use so much data. Last month we were even camping for 3 days and I always turn the modem off when we’re away for extended periods - but surprise surprise we still used data! 

Today at at midday I received my 100% usage email. I have tried to log in all damn day!!! The modem is off, as always when we get super close because I sure as hell don’t want an extra $10 charge for even 100kb over. Then at 6:48pm I’m able to log in, and the data tracker advises I’ve still got 9gb left. Hmmmmmm me smells a big big rat here Optus! If you charge me extra this month...I will want a refund, oh and a refund on any other extras I’ve paid, and seriously I won’t stop until I get it. And I will contact the Ombudsman and ACCC if need be - especially because there are obviously a significant number of people who are being ripped off even more than me! 

msbicoe

I was charged additional $160 2 month ago and charges an additional $450 last month. This all happed in one night within 2 hours while I was at least has 20GB data left  during the day time while I checked. so whtin 1 ~ 2 hours we used 65GB. I asked how come it can used that much? it says its youtube move? I said how ocme a move has such big file? they said it is what it is. and the notifaction of the data overusage sent from next day 4:30AM while I was sleeping. I have madd many calls to Optus and it seems all my fault and they can't help. One call the lady in other said we only provide the service and can't help you your data usage. One call ask me to talk to a physical store. When I went to a physical store that no they can't help and it is not their resbonsibility and asked me to change my 4g- modem. I bought a brand new 4G modem with my own cost and the problem is still same. This is a very bad service. and Optus uses the delayed notification and $10 per 1 GB overusage to rip off the customers.

Dan_C

Morning @msbicoe,

That does seem like a rather large amount of data to have gone through in such a short-period of time. 

How many devices do you connect to your 4G modem? Do you leave the devices connected overnight? 

Two hours of watching YouTube wouldn't come close to the 65GB. You're welcome to send us a private message?

I'll need your full name, DOB and mobile broadband service number or account number. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

msbicoe

Hi ,

Have anybody actually complained to Telco Ombudsman. I would like to support with all my evidences and phone call records, online chat resords and also ridiculous email notification with 1 second per1 GB overused etc.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
74 Kudos
63 Kudos
55 Kudos
50 Kudos