Searching...

Mobile

Re: I am being overcharged for my data

Aman_B

Sorry to hear that @Bryanb. Please not if you're on a contract you may be charged for a payout of this. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Krys-szaf

I'm going through the same thing - have my mobile data switched off and wifi connected, all apps switched off data, no background refresh. and still somehow using 3.55gb in 2 days!

it is so ridiculous, I used to do so much more with my phone, and it's like something has switched on Optus' end to cause this issue. And again, absolutely no help from them they just make out "no you're using all of that data".

worst company ever and there's nothing you can do 😑

Tris

It's not possible for us to charge for data if your SIM isn't accessing the mobile network @Krys-szaf. I'd suggest chatting with our Live Crew so we can confirm how and where the data has been used

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

T_D

This is an ongoing problem with Optus. About the same time you posted I was getting notifications that I had used up a 5gb data add on before I was being notified that it had been added on! That happened avoid 3 times in an hour. To their credit they did prices a refund. That was overnight when our modern was definitely idle, and on 68 acres there's no chance any one is accessing it. Even now our data use continues to be unexplainably high as Optus take no responsibility. I like a lot about Optus but they are dodgy as hell from this perspective.

atee

I’m having the same issue. And so painful just to get through, even if you’re willing to pay for a data package - which I did. Instant regret. $35 for 10gb which I chewed through apparently in a matter of days. I’m now up to $210 for the month, for data usage + the $35 package mentioned. Cannot be right. I’m now connecting to my partner’s hotspot (Telstra - he can easily add data if required to via his app - Optus can’t seem to provide that ease of service)and we are seeing minimal increases in data usage even with my activity added! He’s up to 7gb for the month. Yet Optus think I’m up around 34gb this month with 11 days to go.

For the past 2 days I have been keeping mobile data off and only using when required. 

I have tried calling (experiencing high volume of calls of course) and the automated voice suggests online chat. Yeah ok - that never connects. Then finally today I got through on the phone, which then connected me to an online chat. Waste of time. No help or understanding. I also sent through a complaint earlier this week and am eager to see the response. 

I have been with Optus for many many years and as a long standing customer this is very disappointing. I believe I am being ripped off, definitely receiving poor customer service and I’m well within realms now to refuse to pay the additional data usage charges. I stupidly just renewed my contract too. Great! Oh and just 2gb now with that contract, so forced to pay for an extra 5gb per month ontop to reach 7gb - well played Optus. Previously my contract included 6gb per month. No issue with that - I might have exceeded that on one or two occasions and they were within reason. However suddenly now I’m up around 34gb!?

Thank you for insulting my intelligence. And clearly other customers as per this conversation thread and many others I presume. 

I look forward to hearing from you Optus. 

A. 

Toomey

Sorry to hear of the troubles with your data @atee. What does the My Optus App say the data has been used on via your Data Breakdown?

I'm a mobile billing expert and will be happy to look into this with you. Feel free to send me a private message with your phone number, full name and DOB, along with permission to check your data usage. 

atee

Hmm since my post, my data charges have dropped. AND I’ve been keeping my data turned on and using as I please. Makes no sense! Definitely some dodgy data calculations going on and really no way of knowing the truth - exploitation really! I trust my intelligence enough to believe the truth is that I’ve been cleverly ripped off this month and I have a very sour taste in my mouth Optus. I’ve sent a number of online complaints and I have received zip. I’ll be looking for another service provider. You won’t notice me gone because you haven’t noticed me yet! 

Toomey

Sorry to hear of your disappointment @atee. Just to confirm, all calculations are done within your mobile device, it then pulls the data from your carrier. If you need someone to look into it with you, I am still happy to assist. 

AlexTheKid87

This is happening to me also! Apparently in the last three billing months I have used 75.8 Gb of data through my personal hotspot, even though it is turned off and I have wifi at home and at work (where I spend 80% of my life)! I have also used 8.7Gb on Facebook (which I was lead to believe was free and unmetered), 8.8Gb on Optus Sport (which was meant to be included in my plan and therefore unmetered) and to top it off 3Gb on Spotify (which, yep you guessed it... should also be unmetered with my plan!) This has left me with an almost $1700 bill and disconnected. Even if I did somehow miraculously manage to use all that data from a mobile phone, $10 for every extra Gig?!?!? Vodafone have 2Gb add-ons available for $3!!!!! And to add the cherry to the cake, they will add as many extra Gb as possible at $10 each as they can until you owe hundreds before patronising you and saying they have no way to stop the automatic $10 add-ons! All I have learnt is that it definitely isn't worth $500-$600 a month to watch the EPL, as much as I love it. 

Toomey

Happy to look into this for you also @AlexTheKid87, sorry to hear there have been so many charges on your account. If you shoot me a PM with the details mentioned above, we can run through this together.

It's worth mentioning that usage for unmetered services will still show in your data breakdown, but I'll be able to confirm if this has actually been taken from your quota.

You mentioned that Facebook is meant to be free and unmetered, what plan do you have? There are currently no offers that provide this.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
110 Kudos
90 Kudos
76 Kudos
74 Kudos
71 Kudos