cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor Jessicajade96
New Contributor

I am being overcharged for my data

I am going through hell with optus, I am being overcharged for my data usage. I am being told that I am using 15 gb of data when I am defiantly not. I have monitered what I use, I turn my data off at times to try and keep the data usage down and still nothing. I have been into optus 4 times with no help, one of those times I bought 10 gbs of data to add onto each month, still manage to go over that. I called up the call centre and I got zero help and pretty muched got hanged up on.  I am getting bills of $160- $300 a moth every month. This is defianlty not what I signed up for. I just want to get out of the horrible compnay but of course they want me to pay nearly $900 to do that. Has anyone else had this problem? This is the worst I have ever been treated by a company like this. 

Tags (3)
35 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I am being overcharged for my data

What are you using to monitor the data and have you taken into account that the data reporting can be delayed by up to 48 hours?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Jessicajade96
New Contributor

I am aware of that. I have used the mobile app to see how much I have used and I have monitored the lengths of time I spend using it! I even turn my data of for safe measure. 

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I understand that however you need to leave data off for 2 days at a time before you get a true reading on how much data you have used and that simply isn't practical. Does your phone have an internal data usage meter as that one works in real-time. Depending on the phone you may find this information under settings / data usage.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Hey Jessicajade96 - thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear of your troubles there! Can assure you we're definitely only charging you if your SIM has connected to the mobile network. If you'd like us to we'd be happy to take  a look at your mobile data usage and see if we can pin point the top 10 apps/sites that have accessed your data. Please send us a private message with your full name, mobile number and DOB and we'll check it out! 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Shea888
Occasional Contributor

The exact same thing is happening to my daughter! SHE WAS EVEN BEING CHARGED FOR DATA WHILST SHE WAS OVERSEAS, USING A JAPANESE SIM CARD (HER OPTUS SIM CARD WAS AT HOME ON HER BEDSIDE TABLE). 

She also visited an OPTUS store where she found herself amongst many other people there with the same problem; The friendly staff however, were unable to help & they were advised to call OPTUS; Which we have done so on a number of occasions now (& asking to speak with a Supervisor) ...  However all we get is the same response - "My Supervisor is on a another call at the moment, so he/she will call you back shortly!" We are STILL WAITING FOR 'SUPERVISOR KAREN' to call us back ON MONDAY THE 3RD JULY 2017??? 

May I also add, that OVER THESE PAST THREE MONTHS TRYING TO GET THIS OPTUS NIGHTMARE RESOLVED, OPTUS HAS PUT A CREDIT DEFAULT AGAINST MY DAUGHTER & SHE  NOW HAS A CREDIT AGENCY CHASING HER FOR EXTREME AMOUNTS OF MONEY FOR GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT??? 

This was my 18 year old daughters first line of credit & it has been NOTHING BUT ABSOLUTE HELL FOR HER! 

SHAME ON YOU OPTUS!!! 

Tags (1)
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Hi @Shea888, I've replied back to your Facebook post. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Bryanb
New Contributor

I've had the exact same problems. My data said last month I used 8.6% on twitter even though I don't have twitter or any other social media for that fact. Also said I used a high percentage on Bigpondmovies which is also bullsh!t as I've never heard of it until I googled it!! Optus told me that they were correct and I was wrong after at 22 min conversation. Absolute joke!!

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hi @Bryanb,  apologies for the inconvenience caused. Could you please PM us Here  your full name, Optus number & date of birth so we can take a look into this? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Bryanb
New Contributor

No I won't pm you..I spoke for over 20 minutes to a representative. They said Optus was correct and that there was no mistake.. I've taken action myself. I'm purchasing a Vodafone sim today as I never had problems with them before!! I will not be paying any money to Optus to get out of contract 👋🏼

Top Contributors