Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I Changed mobile plan then excess data usage immediately

Today online I changed my mobile plan from $50pm for 30 gig to $50pm for 80gig after discount its supposed to be $40pm on 12 month contract I think that part is ok,

Prior to change of plan today I had 17 gig of 30 gig left for the month, on my  new plan Optus have added the remaining 13 gig of my old plan to the new 80 gig plan giving me 93 gig in total for the rest of month however Optus have charged me $130 for 13 gig excess when I log into my account ! I called the call centre but they say nothing can be done to the bill is issued but something is not quite right and I feel very disappointed 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: I Changed mobile plan then excess data usage immediately

It is frightening but its also not uncommon with Optus swaps. Its generally a complicated process of pro ratering, bonuses have to be applied and various systems updated, some apparently manually. Its probable the sales person hasn't properly entered your order.

One thing is for sure, and that is Optus won't do anything until a bill is actually issued (and its quite possible the charges will have been removed by then). The problem for you is that you will presumably keep getting $10 alerts for every 1Gb you use (which these days is not much) which while false are no doubt of concern as all you have is Optus promising to sort it out down the track. 

But Optus should be able to sort it after the bill arrives. They can see your actual data usage and allowance and recredit any false $10 usage charges then.

But not a great way to start an exciting new plan though.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It's important to note, you don't get 

Existing Plan 50gb + Pro-Rata New Plan 13GB = 63gb
or as you've worked it out...
80GB + 13GB pro-rate = 93gb

You'll get

Pro-Rate of Existing allowance + Pro-Rate of new Plan = Actual Allowance

It's pointlessly complex (which is why ISPs these days don't do plan changes mid month on allowances) and it triggers complaints/excess charges etc. You might get a sympathetic rep who will write the charges off, but sadly, mid month changes "for more data" don't work the way you thought they do.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I wasn't sure on the mothodology so didn't mention it, but Optus seem to use the 93Gb method for their Optus App. I've change plans several times over the past few years and every time the App bumps my remaining usage to the higher number. I remember hoping that somehow there was a backend snafi and I'd actually get the new (much bigger) amount from then on. Unfortunately it always reverted to the actual (correct) amount the next month. 

Unless the @Cynical  has gone over the (63Gb) then there shouldn't be an issue with any excess usage amounts being refunded after the actual data amounts have been locked in. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Miraculously the excess data charde disappeared overnight from my account of course have to wait for the bill to see if there are any other issues thanks for the reply